I'm on the fence

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I'm on the fence

Yup, and I have one liter left and I did the top of the gunwale also

Here's KiwiGrip FAQs:

How much will a liter cover?

Stock Answer: Each liter covers 2 square meters (about 20 square feet). Application is very thick - about 2 to 3 mm (a little less than 1/8 inch). A 4-liter pail will generally be sufficient for a 30 foot sailboat.

Better, though less helpful, anwer: It depends. Coverage depends completely on application thickness and on the underlying surface. KG offers a "miniature mountain range" texture with myriad peaks and valleys. A thick application (3mm) will offer tall peaks and deep valleys, yielding a very aggressive non-skid. A moderate application (2mm) will afford a more moderate texture, and a thin application will give a gentle result - suitable for cockpit seats.

The plot thickens. If you're applying over a high-profile, but worn, non-skid, some of your KiwiGrip will sink into the valleys of your current non-skid. Filling these valleys consumes your precious KG while offering little in return. This reduces coverage. Here are a few data points and a couple of buying strategies to consider:

* A Catalina 30 sailboat will typically need 4 Liters (a Gallon) with no leftovers
* One customer used 5 liters on his 23 foot sailboat - very thick application.
* I used 10 liters on my 48 foot center-cockpit sailboat to do cabintops, side decks, foredeck and aft deck, but not cockpit. Moderately thin application over smooth surface.

If you're having trouble deciding how much to buy, consider: (a) Buy too much and return unopened tins for a refund. Your risk is the shipping cost. (b) Make your best guess and buy more if you need it. Your risk is repeating your setup and cleanup. (c) Same as (a) but keep left-overs for repairs and alterations, or sell to your neighbor who now loves your boat more than his own.
http://www.pachena.com/

Marc..

Hey thanks. Looks like good stuff. I am not sure about a couple of things. First I was thinking I would coat the entire deck and walls and bow portion with a paint. I wonder if this stuff would be too agressive and I just need to use it on the parts that get walked on. Second it says put it over a primed, prepared, and finished surface. I was wanting something I could paint right over the fiberglass we are about to put down. Do you think a nice even sanding would do the trick? The way I read it, it's almost like they are expecting a layer of paint to be there already.

From there website.

Can I apply over wood, aluminum, steel, fiberglass, etc.?
KiwiGrip can be applied over all surfaces providing they are primed and finish coated. Once finish coated, lightly sand with 120 grit, mask out, and then apply KiwiGrip. It is very important that all paint films have been applied and completed before KiwiGrip is applied to selected surfaces.

Thanks for the help.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

:D
I went for KiwiGrip, amazing stuff, $110 (one gallon)to do my boat and have some left(1L), easy to apply, becomes very hard , nontoxic (latex base), easy to clean, many colors(or go at home depot and have them mixed your own color), choose your own texture, hides defect on your deck, what more can I say , I love the stuff :D And customer service is top notch

Here's my boat(Aquasport 170 1979), before and after
fillingholes1.jpg

DSCN0586.jpg

DSCN0579.jpg

Marc..

Hey I don't wanna rabbit trail this thread but that is one sweet lookin' boat Marc!! Maybe I'll shoot for something that size for my NEXT boat! lol!! Some sweet day.... :D

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Does that kiwigrip have a rubberized feel to it or is it hard and rough on the feet?

chrishayes

Really gotta like a guy who posts a picture of girls in bathing suits as part of a reply to a question. So how much does one gallon cover? Are you saying you did your entire boat with only 1?

This picture just bugs the heck out of me, I cant stand the texting youth! THey drive me nuts, I see them walking down the street like 3 or more of them walking together...texting as they walk! Are kids these days able to move their eyes seperately of one another? How do they see to walk and text at the same time? It is just really irritating when you try to talk to one and they poke their head up and look at you as they click their phone shut then in the middle of talking they flip it right back open and continue texting as if they dont understand simple cortesy of look at me when im talking to you!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry:redface:

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This picture just bugs the heck out of me, I cant stand the texting youth! THey drive me nuts, I see them walking down the street like 3 or more of them walking together...texting as they walk! Are kids these days able to move their eyes seperately of one another? How do they see to walk and text at the same time? It is just really irritating when you try to talk to one and they poke their head up and look at you as they click their phone shut then in the middle of talking they flip it right back open and continue texting as if they dont understand simple cortesy of look at me when im talking to you!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

hahah its the way of the future...best is to just ignore it,becuase I think it only gonna get worse as time goes on.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lol! Nice rant! ;) I can tell you're not out of that "youth" bracket. :D Oops...did i jst say i am!? I'll agree it's nice when ppl look at you when you're talking to them. See...ya needa get gud and be able to txt without looking! Uh-oh, I dont think thats wat u had in mind...ducks and runs. :):D

Btw, txting is great but I'll agree alot of ppl are prolly obsessed with it. Um...myself included.:redface:

Friscoboater

Captain

Oh I feel your pain. I will NOT use my text feature. I have a blackberry and use it fir my work email, but i cannot stand texting!!!!!!!!!!! I would like to speak to the person I am conversing with.

Back to the topic. I am ripping out my carpet this winter (was put in last winter) and and putting on Durabak of Kiwigrip. I HATE my carpet.

Has anyone used the grip stuff from westmarine?

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How are you planning on removing the glue from under the carpet...I got my carpet out and the glue is this rock hard wess everywhere.my deck is ripped out but its all over my gunwales. I plan on doing the same non skin finish from the gunwales all the way to the deck.

P.S. I HATE talking to people on the phone,I would much rather send texts back and forth. Maybe thats the the youth of today do it also.

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hahaha, about texting, the worst part is that they were probably texting each other :rolleyes:
Hey robbankston, sorry about the late reply, I was out fishing :D
About prepping your floor for KiwiGrip, just give it a coat of paint, if you want waterways give a second coat where you want them

Don't know why the surface has to be sealed, because that stuff sticks hard to everything

thrillhouse700, no it has no rubberize feel to it

singinout, thanks :)

Marc..

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How are you planning on removing the glue from under the carpet...I got my carpet out and the glue is this rock hard wess everywhere.my deck is ripped out but its all over my gunwales. I plan on doing the same non skin finish from the gunwales all the way to the deck.

P.S. I HATE talking to people on the phone,I would much rather send texts back and forth. Maybe thats the the youth of today do it also.

Glue isn't too bad on mine. Sander will take the last bit off. I guess I got lucky on that on.

I'm with you on the rather text than talk on the phone. But most of the time I'd rather do neither.

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hahaha, about texting, the worst part is that they were probably texting each other :rolleyes:
Hey robbankston, sorry about the late reply, I was out fishing :D
About prepping your floor for KiwiGrip, just give it a coat of paint, if you want waterways give a second coat where you want them

Don't know why the surface has to be sealed, because that stuff sticks hard to everything

thrillhouse700, no it has no rubberize feel to it

singinout, thanks :)

Marc..

Wish I was out fishing, but we did get quite a bit accomplished on the boat today.

When you say give it a coat of pain. Are you saying give it a coat of Kiwi Grip or just some regular paint and then coat it with the Kiwi Grip?

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

Paint, sand with 120 grit, clean, apply Kiwigrip. If you do go the KiwiGrip route, let me know, I'll give you a few pointers

Marc..

Aunugget

Cadet

Hi there, I'm jumping in on this one because I have the same question regarding covering the deck.

Unfortunately in Alaska it is very hard to get Durabak without paying $160 per gal or higher. Even at that I have to purchase it, then hirer a freight forwarder to get it up here. Frustrating!

Any ideas that I could use instead? The KiwiGrip sounds like a great idea. Marq can you give me some tips? I have a lot deck to cover, about 8 ft by 7 ft. Guessing on that though.

PS. I understand the texting thing. Drives me crazy and I work in Telecommunications.

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

The KiwiGrip sounds like a great idea. Marq can you give me some tips? I have a lot deck to cover, about 8 ft by 7 ft. Guessing on that though.

With those dimensions you would need 2 liters but if I were you I would get a gallon( you get the roller free), shipping will be the same and you will have leftover that you can keep indefinitely for touch up or for future modification you may do. You will have no problem having them ship you the product at your post office and shipping is fast and reasonably priced(in my case $45)

What is your deck made of ?

Marc..

Aunugget

Cadet

Thanks. Currently it is a wood deck and some of it is damaged by rot. I plan on replacing the entire thing. I plan on keeping this boat for a long time and to me it doesn't make sense to replace a small section when I have a feeling when I pull it up there will probably be more. I was thinking of getting all the supplied I need ready and at hand so when the weather decides to clear up I can get after it with out having to stop to shop again.

Do you think 3/4 would work? I'm thinking about getting a good quality paint and cover both sides and end points. Not sure what kind to use though for the paint.

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you think 3/4 would work? I'm thinking about getting a good quality paint and cover both sides and end points. Not sure what kind to use though for the paint.

3/4 will be plenty, a good marine urethane paint , with kiwiGrip on top of it would seal it pretty good IF you take care of sealing future holes in the deck good, plywood has to be dry, if you want to keep the boat long take at the least marine ply, join the piece (using PL glue)of the plywood deck together to prevent the joints from cracking,(don't know how you call this) but join them like this
joint-1.jpg

It will become one piece and will not crack the seems , a bit more work but if you have the right tool it's a piece of cake
Marc..

thrillhouse700

If you use that joint, wouldn't you have to build the entire deck outside of the boat and then lay it in so you can glass the whole thing?

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you use that joint, wouldn't you have to build the entire deck outside of the boat and then lay it in so you can glass the whole thing?
Not really, build it like you would normally do but just add the extra length for the "shiplap joint"

Marc..

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3/4 will be plenty, a good marine urethane paint , with kiwiGrip on top of it would seal it pretty good IF you take care of sealing future holes in the deck good, plywood has to be dry, if you want to keep the boat long take at the least marine ply, join the piece (using PL glue)of the plywood deck together to prevent the joints from cracking,(don't know how you call this) but join them like this
joint-1.jpg

It will become one piece and will not crack the seems , a bit more work but if you have the right tool it's a piece of cake
Marc..

I can definitely see how that could be stronger.