Wasp nests in boats

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was just out prepping my boat for labor day and also of course, spraying a wasp nest. That got me to thinking, does anyone know of any way to prevent wasps from building nests in the boat? Or anywhere for that matter. This 1 nest was built in an area I couldnt reach or see so I had to guess where it was and hope I get it. Well, success, they are falling out from where they were..lol

Robert

OMCboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Wasp nests in boats

apparently, all the rage in preventing wasps from building nests is to hang a fake wasp nest in the area. Wasps are territorial and if there is already a nest there they just move on. I have talked to a number of people who use these and they all swear they work. I imagine you could make your own out of paper mache or something, but if you don't feel like it you can actually buy fake nests.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

ive had wasp nets in my boat, but only when the hatch has been left open for a while (covered with tarp, but hatch open) like checking it after the winter kindve thing

Y-Guy

Seaman

We have some major issues with Wasps around my house. Check out the W?H?Y Traps, amazed me how many it caught in just a week. Costco now sells them with 2 traps. Good stuff. You can google W?H?Y Traps for more info.

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Labor day is like a month away!

Yes I know it is a month away and to be honest I am glad I found the wasp nest now rather than when we get to the lake. I have 4 children with the oldest being 13 and 1 of them will be sitting in that seat and would almost certainly get stung had I not found the nest first.

Im not saying the boat will not be in the water before labor day. Labor day we will be camping for 5 days so I am doing mostly maintenance on the boat to prepare for the long weekend and also a few other things that needed done anyway.

Robert

sho3boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put the cover on and spray a little bug killer spray under it, the kind that is a fine spray. I talked to a farmer once laughing at all the old nests under the barn roof edge at his place. He smiled and said they will not build on there again. At my house they will take over an old nest, or tear one up for supplies. I found you have a big nest nearby that is expanding, you need to find it and kill them. I took out a bunch at the place next door to me and have way, way less of them around here now. I could park a car in the yard for two days and they had nests started in the doors.

Jeep Man

Commander

apparently, all the rage in preventing wasps from building nests is to hang a fake wasp nest in the area. Wasps are territorial and if there is already a nest there they just move on. I have talked to a number of people who use these and they all swear they work. I imagine you could make your own out of paper mache or something, but if you don't feel like it you can actually buy fake nests.

8 bucks for 2 at the hardware store or garden center

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

During wasp season, I tap the sides of the boat near the rails to stir them up. That lets me know here the nest is and I just nail it with spray from there.

Since my boat is an open trihull, with a bit of open storage under the foredeck, the nesting areas are limited and predictable. I don't get too nuts about trying to stop them, because doing so is pretty much a lost cause where I am. As long as I can kill the little buggers, that's good enough for me.

BTW, for folks who may be new to them, they also love some of the "nooks" in a trailer. One favorite place, which also happens to be just right in terms of high probability of getting stung, is the end of the box rail, right at the coupler. Be sure to keep that area sprayed and frequently checked!