Long arm of the Law

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer
So today I went to get my driver's license renewed as it expired last week. No big deal, I've renewed my license in the same place for the past 10 years. As I'm standing there the lady asked me if I've ever lived in North Carolina. Sure I said, but that was over 10 years ago. She said, "Well I can't renew your license because NC put a hit on it."

Normally this detour wouldn't bother me so much, but I've got a flight to catch first thing in the morning & need to have my license renewed. At first there was a bit of panic, but then I remembered I could just use my passport to board the plane. The only option they could give me was to take my license & give me an ID. Not an option for me.

After an extended hold time with NC's DMV I find out the reason NC put a 'hit' on my license is because sometime back in the 90s when I was resident in NC I got a speeding ticket in Louisiana, NOT NC! I don't recall the ticket, but apparently I was doing 71 in a 55. Even though I GOT THE TICKET IN LOUISIANA, NC suspended my license for 30 days. This is news to me. It was a $50 fine & because I didn't pay it, it double to $100. They wouldn't take a CC over the phone so I had to phone a courier & pay another $35 for them go the DMV & pay my ticket.

Point is, I think it's pretty (insert strong word here) that the state of NC could suspend my license over a speeding ticket I got in ANOTHER state. I don't have a problem paying any citations that I'm guilty of, but hitting me decade later over a something as benign as this is just ridiculous.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Long arm of the Law

I Don't understand what that has to do with the current license you have from Arkansas.

I could understand that you wouldn't want to get picked up while in NC, butt this situation is ***anine.

Its all about money.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah none of that makes a lick of sense. However, you can count your lucky stars that even doubled it was $100. There ain't no such thing in PA. I think they START at $120 or something.

Reminded me of friend who got busted by a traffic camera between Baltimore and DC. He went online to pay his ticket and found he had 2. DULP!

ehenry

Commander

Having had more than my share of speeding tickets, other violations and stayed on probation with MDPS for the majority of my young adult life all I can say is "ya shoulda paid the LA ticket when you got it." I'm suprised they didnt make you pay it on the spot or keep your license to assure you did. Just be glad you didnt get pulled over for another violation in Arkansas ! If you had you probably would have been taken to the local county bed and breakfast. Since I've been employed by the county where I live, I've seen folks brought in for less, finger printed, photoed and detained for hours then ROR'd or actually locked up and have to post a bond. You're right, its all about the money AND the officer that stops you.

Not trying to be cold or a smart a** just stating the facts.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I have been questioned about my Maine license here in NC a few times (I've never bothered to switch). So one day I go to the local DMV to switch out my license to NC and they say they won't because I have a citation in Boston, MA. Knowing I've never had a speeding ticket there, I call them up and they tell me I have to visit the Boston county courthouse.. I live in NC for crying out loud! I manage to get them to share the details of this supposed speeding ticket in Boston and it is obviously not me who got it (My identity was stolen years ago and apparently this guy is still using it, even after four years in prison for it..). I explain the situation and insist there is no way it was me who was pulled over, so they have me send in eight signatures so they can compare it to the signature on the ticket (thank goodness whoever got it signed the ticket!) and the signatures come up different, so they mail me a letter stating how the matter is resolved and the ticket isn't mine.. but here's the kicker.. the letter states in capital, bold letters "THIS DETERMINATION IS ONLY VALID FOR 30 DAYS". Needless to say, I was busy during that time and had no time to return to get my license swapped out, so I still have a Maine license. Now tell me, how on this freaking Earth does a fraudulant ticket become not-fraudulant after 30 days? Is history re-written after 30 days? Now I have to go through the same thing every time I wish to renew my license, apparently forever!

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

From what I have heard and experienced, some states freely share information regarding traffic violations and can appear on your home state's license. For example if you get a ticket in another state, you could wind up with the points on your license from your home state. At the same time, some states do not share the info, so if you get a ticket there, it will not show up on your home state license. It all depends on what the state governments have worked out with the surrounding states. I believe it also depends on the severity of the violation. In your case, you failed to pay the fine as well as failed to appear in court. A lot of people forget that a ticket is a summons to appear in court. You just have the option to plead guilty by signing the ticket and sending the money in to pay the fine. Doing this allows you to not appear in court. When you failed to pay the fine and failed to appear in court, a bench warrant was most likely put out against you. The good news is that warrant hasn't caught up to you prior to your ability to pay the fine. If I were you, I would keep a copy of the reciept with you for a while as well as follow up with LA to make sure there isn't an oustanding warrant for your arrest.

Last edited:

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Convoluted, but true. A colleague and I rented a car in San Francisco to do some consulting work at Alameda Air base (when it was operational). My partner was driving and got pulled over just off the Bay Bridge by the CHP. He got a ticket for speeding. The cop asked for the insurance certificate......it wasn't in the car. We explained to him that the car was rented, so he asked for the contract. We had waived the additional coverage. He told us that law states that we must show proof of insurance, so my buddy said that he would drop off a copy at the local P.D. the next day. He did. In 2003 he went back to CA for more consulting work. He flew in on the red eye and when he got to security they asked for ID, he presented his license. They told him that there was a bench warrant out for his arrest and promptly hauled him away for failure to produce the ins. docs.:eek: The fine was $250 plus costs. He debated paying it, but since he didn't do anything wrong he insisted that they figure it out. It took three days. He also had trouble getting bail because he was out of state. He lost mega bucks from loss of income and they didn't really tell him that it was "fixed" when they let him go. My friend's feeling about the episode was that if it happened in Mexico he could understand it.......but in CA?:p
Kev.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

So today I went to get my driver's license renewed as it expired last week. No big deal, I've renewed my license in the same place for the past 10 years. As I'm standing there the lady asked me if I've ever lived in North Carolina. Sure I said, but that was over 10 years ago. She said, "Well I can't renew your license because NC put a hit on it."

Normally this detour wouldn't bother me so much, but I've got a flight to catch first thing in the morning & need to have my license renewed. At first there was a bit of panic, but then I remembered I could just use my passport to board the plane. The only option they could give me was to take my license & give me an ID. Not an option for me.

After an extended hold time with NC's DMV I find out the reason NC put a 'hit' on my license is because sometime back in the 90s when I was resident in NC I got a speeding ticket in Louisiana, NOT NC! I don't recall the ticket, but apparently I was doing 71 in a 55. Even though I GOT THE TICKET IN LOUISIANA, NC suspended my license for 30 days. This is news to me. It was a $50 fine & because I didn't pay it, it double to $100. They wouldn't take a CC over the phone so I had to phone a courier & pay another $35 for them go the DMV & pay my ticket.

Point is, I think it's pretty (insert strong word here) that the state of NC could suspend my license over a speeding ticket I got in ANOTHER state. I don't have a problem paying any citations that I'm guilty of, but hitting me decade later over a something as benign as this is just ridiculous.

Obviously you have not been to the Post Office to see the wanted poster's. :eek:

Somewhere there is a clerk seeing that was paid and feels accomplished for that. I feel your pain. ;)

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Most states have reciprocal aggreements when it comes to moving violations.

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I just got a call last week about a ticket I recieved in Colorado 8 years ago, I forgot to pay it and they just now reported it to a collector and want their 81 bucks. I could probably rob a gas station and they would stop looking for me but get a ticket and it will follow you forever. I think it has to do with the economy they are just looking for ways to make money.