Restarting Merc30hp after 10years...

remigh

Recruit
hoping for some suggestions from the outboard experts on this forum- I have a 1995 Merc 30hp (2 stroke with oil reservoir in the powerhead that auto-mixes it with gas) that I purchased new and used regularly for 4 years. Since moving to Arizona in 1999, the outboard has been hanging off my boat beside the house. For 10 years, the outboard has not been run or even turned over. Later this year, I am hoping to restart the motor and return it to service.

What would be the suggested process, either from Mercury or peoples experience, for restarting a motor that has be sitting in hot, dry Arizona for 10 years?

thanks in advance...roger

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Restarting Merc30hp after 10years...

Go get some fresh gas and give her a go.

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: Restarting Merc30hp after 10years...

hoping for some suggestions from the outboard experts on this forum- I have a 1995 Merc 30hp (2 stroke with oil reservoir in the powerhead that auto-mixes it with gas) that I purchased new and used regularly for 4 years. Since moving to Arizona in 1999, the outboard has been hanging off my boat beside the house. For 10 years, the outboard has not been run or even turned over. Later this year, I am hoping to restart the motor and return it to service.

What would be the suggested process, either from Mercury or peoples experience, for restarting a motor that has be sitting in hot, dry Arizona for 10 years?

thanks in advance...roger
The water pump impeller will need to be changed as it will have deteriorated after sitting in the same position for so long. If you fogged the engine before you stored it it should be OK, if it has been sitting dry for 10 years I would run some wd40 or similar product into the cylinders and turn the flywheel by hand to spread some lube around. The carbs may be gummed up if the fuel that was in them was left to evaporate.