5.7L Mercruiser HP Question

Zell90r94

Recruit
I purchased a 1997 bayliner Capri 2050 SS SE with a 5.7L. Does anyone have any idea what horsepower this boat has. It will do 50 mph trimmed out according to speedo. I don't have a GPS. I would like to go a little faster but don't know which prop to use. It currently has a 3 blade stainless steel prop. 5070 19 is the number on the prop.

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 5.7L Mercruiser HP Question

Most likely its the 260HP 5.7. Might be a 220HP.

I would assume that your running an ALPHA 1 outdrive. On the top half of the ourdrive you have a gearing lable. it would say something like 1.50 (as an example). Thats your outdrive gearing.

What are your RPM's at WOT? Your running a 19* (pitch) prop, which is a good all around prop.Understand that if you go larger your boat might not be able to turn the prop as fast (engine rpms lower) and you could not only losr top speed, but your "Hole Power" to plane will also be a little weaker.

I run a Stiletto 19* 3 blade on my 22' Ski boat. I have 1.50 outdrive gearing, and Im doing speeds of 55-58MPH at 5300RPM's with me and 1 other passenger trimmed out at Lake Powell ( 2000' elevation) Up here at Utah Lake ( 4500' elev.) I am doing 45 MPH with 4-6 adults hauling equipment and drinks, ect...ect. So there is a noticble difference in these factors.

What elevation are you currently boating at?

50 MPH is really respectable for a smaller boat. Understand that you really cant do much more without starting to shell out $$$ for a few more MPH. The golden rule from my friends in the offshore life is that for every MPH over 60, you will spend $1,000 per MPH per motor. So if you have a twin engine you just made that $2000 per MPH over 60.

Get back to us and lets see if we cant help you achieve a little more speed.

Zell90r94

Recruit

Thanks for the reply Big Dave. I will have to check too see which drive unit is on there.
I should have mentioned that I normally have 4-6 adults on board and am hitting 45 -50 mph. two years ago I did hit 58mph on Brookville lake in Indiana very early in the morning when the water was still and I was by myself. So from the sound of things I should just be happy with what I have.??? Used to be drag racer (Car) and like the speed. This whole engine, prop, drive stuff is a different world.

I will check the engine tonight and reply with any new info I can find...

Thanks Again

Rat Capri

Petty Officer 3rd Class

very respectable speed with that boat and that kind of load...my .02

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

The real question at this point is how many RPM your turning at WOT as Bigdave mentioned. If it's over the recomended RPM for that engine (5200) than you may want to try a different prop.Rule of thumb is for every 1 inch of pitch you increase your engine will decrease 200 RPM at WOT. Your engine is most likely a 260 hp which is a 350 Chevy (5.7).The 220 hp was a 305 Chevy(5.0)

Zell90r94

Recruit

I was out yesterday and WOT was around 4600rpm with 4 adults. The water was very choppy though.