Trailer Tire Air Lose

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Been trailering for years but never had this happen before. Last weekend I noticed my rear tire was low and I could not find any holes. I know when I make hard turns there is a lot of stress on the tires especially the rear ones, could it have flexed enough to break the bead seal to drop the pressure from 75 to 30?

Dale

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer Tire Air Lose

Slow leaks could be anything, hard to believe anyone that has driven for a time hasn't experienced one...but here's some common causes:

Rim Leak (leaks at the bead caused by corrosion)
Valve Leak (the needle in the valve could be jammed, corroded, loose)
Nail In Tire (or a screw if you prefer)
Extreme Temperature Changes (not a leak, but typicaly up north here, cold weather causes tire pressure to drop, hot weather makes it go up again)
Weather Cracked tires (I've only seen air loss from this once)

Take the tire to a tire shop, on the rim. They'll find the leak and repair it, unless the tire itself needs replacement (nail in sidewall of tire).

ian

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No corrosion issues, only 5 months old, fresh water only. Pumped it back up, holding air.

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No corrosion issues, only 5 months old, fresh water only. Pumped it back up, holding air.

Was probably the valve sticking a little bit. Putting air in reseated it.

raekmike

Seaman

yea, If you break a bead it's flat and off the rim. no partial leaks when you pop a bead.. like he said. prolly a valve core stickin.. sometimes a small nail can go in a tire and bury itselft just under the rubber and you can't see it unless it goes in a dunk tank. keep a close eye on er and check pressure after a week.

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

ditto zeeter-spray soap around the valve stem with cap off