Add another deck drain; a dew questions

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My new to me cruiser has a self draining deck with drains in the stern corners and from the channels the hatches sit in. However, water puddles up on both sides which is a bit of a low spot. I'd like to add a couple drains in those spots.

I think I can figure out how to cut the holes and mount and seal it; I'm wondering if I can run the drain hose to an existing one (from the corner drain) and "T" into it? Or does each drain need to have it's ownthru-hull? I don't want to cut another hole in ths side of the boat!

Thanks.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Add another deck drain; a dew questions

Any ideas on this one? Thx.

jonesg

Admiral

I read your question a couple days ago, or was it yesterday?
I also have a self bailing deck, but I can't understand your question.

I have a single drain tube in the splashwell and 2 drain tubes that go straight out the transom on each side(transom corner), a total of 5 tubes all above the water line.
The side drains have small wells where water pools, its normal.

Its not clear whether you have water pooling on the deck or at the transom.
"However, water puddles up on both sides which is a bit of a low spot."
Yeh but... both sides of what?:p

Sometimes I go back and read something I wrote and wonder who wrote this, I can't even understand my own questions, it gets like that.:rolleyes:

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, maybe not clear enough...I'll give it another shot. I have drains (direct thru-hull above waterline) on both corners furthest to stern by the transom. I also have drains for the channels the hatches sit in (inboard engines, so big hatches). Where the water is pooling has no drain currently - I want to add them. This would be about 3-4 ft. forward of the current back drains on the port and starboard sides right against the outer edge.

I don't think adding the drain is much of a problem, it's getting it to drain thru-hull I wonder about. Can I tap into one of the existing drain lines? This would keep me from needing to put two MORE holes in my boat for thru0hulls.

Thanks.

jonesg

Admiral

A photo would say a lot.

I decided to let mine pool on the sides of the deck, it will run toward the transom soon as I give it power.

Hope you have below deck access, theres none on mine.
They sell bilge Y connecting tubes.

redfury

Commander

OK, maybe not clear enough...I'll give it another shot. I have drains (direct thru-hull above waterline) on both corners furthest to stern by the transom. I also have drains for the channels the hatches sit in (inboard engines, so big hatches). Where the water is pooling has no drain currently - I want to add them. This would be about 3-4 ft. forward of the current back drains on the port and starboard sides right against the outer edge.

I don't think adding the drain is much of a problem, it's getting it to drain thru-hull I wonder about. Can I tap into one of the existing drain lines? This would keep me from needing to put two MORE holes in my boat for thru0hulls.

Thanks.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't connect a drain line to an existing one as long as you follow the principles of water and gravity. You don't want to send water into the boat, so as long as water will drain out more than it could possibly back up ( which sounds like the case ), then you should be fine as long as you have access to run the drain lines into the existing through hull fittings. I doubt it's going to cause a "capacity" issue. Just make sure that when you drill the holes in the deck for the new drains, that you take the time to seal up the wood after the hole is cut ( if there is any ) and then seal the new fitting properly...no silicone! 3M 5200 would work perfectly if there isn't a good rubber gasket.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, thanks. Shouldn't be too tough a project.

The ShamWow post WAS funny. I'm afraid it would soak up the entire lake though.