Johnson 115 no oil noise?

jetter2

Cadet
I have a Johnson 115 outboard on the family ski boat and it runs fine, but there is a continual clicking coming from the instrument cluster. We Checked the Oil and its full, the motor pulls fine and isn't overheating...what could it be? Its not the whistle/chirp that we all know, its a steady clicking noise, and yet the boat runs fine.

Were thinking a fuel filter, I'm going to replace that though today if I can..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson 115 no oil noise?

model year, isolate where the cliking is coming from. what instruments do you have?

jetter2

Cadet

model year, isolate where the cliking is coming from. what instruments do you have?

1995 Johnson 115 outboard motor, clicking is NOT mechanical, and is DEFINATLY instrumentaton related(at least in its source area. Source is same area all the rest of the sounds come from, the switch panel where the horn button is..

Dad thinks it might be starving for Oil as he sees no "smoke" ever from the motor, but it runs fine and doesn't indicate any hesitation or over heating..

I have spedo, tach, engine temp, and gas gauge on my cluster and thats it.

tashasdaddy

check plug on tach, could be loose and arcing, it works of electrical pulses from the motor. or unplug tach, see if it quits.

jetter2

Cadet

check plug on tach, could be loose and arcing, it works of electrical pulses from the motor. or unplug tach, see if it quits.

The Tach works without any issue, and the clicking noise isn't speed or RPM related..it is a constant ~4 times a second.

tashasdaddy

well it could be.
J/E Alarms

low oil alarm is a beep every 30 seconds. beep......................beep...................

no oil alarm is a beep every 1/2 second or so.beep,beep,beep

overheat and fuel restriction alarm is a constant beep.beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

unplug the tank sensor and see if it quits.

jetter2

Cadet

well it could be.
J/E Alarms

low oil alarm is a beep every 30 seconds. beep......................beep...................

no oil alarm is a beep every 1/2 second or so.beep,beep,beep

overheat and fuel restriction alarm is a constant beep.beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

unplug the tank sensor and see if it quits.

unplug the Oil tank sensor? Is this on the top or anything? Again, this alarm is only presenting when the motor is running..

jetter2

Cadet

FYI, it looks as though the motor isn't using any oil..

I unplugged the oil line going into the motor and oil flowed through it just fine..I wonder if the oil pump could be bad?

How much are they, and how hard would it be to check if the oil pump is working or not?

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

FYI, it looks as though the motor isn't using any oil..

I unplugged the oil line going into the motor and oil flowed through it just fine..I wonder if the oil pump could be bad?

How much are they, and how hard would it be to check if the oil pump is working or not?

There's no reason to guess whether your engine is using oil.

First of all, properly re-prime the oil line and re-connect it.

Then, just mark the oil tank and fill the fuel tank. Run the engine at least at cruise to WOT speed long enough to burn at least 5 or 6 gallons (in other words, not idling or trolling). Then see how much oil it takes to fill the oil tank back up to the mark, and how much fuel it takes to re-fill the fuel tank. calculate a ratio of gas to oil used, should be 50-60:1.

If you don't know the math, just post the numbers here. Be as precise as you can, for instance, how many ounces or fractions of a pint of oil and how many quarts or fractions of a gallon of gasoline.

If you burn 5-6 gallons of gasoline, you should use a pint of oil or a little less.

The longer the test you do (in other words the more gallons of gas and pints of oil used), the more accurate your calculation will be.

If you're at all uncertain of whether it's using oil properly, during the test and until you verify it, use pre-mixed fuel (at the ratio of 1 pt to 6 gallons of gas)instead of raw gas.

Then, tell us what you find. Stop the guessing.

jetter2

Cadet

There's no reason to guess whether your engine is using oil.

First of all, properly re-prime the oil line and re-connect it.

Then, just mark the oil tank and fill the fuel tank. Run the engine at least at cruise to WOT speed long enough to burn at least 5 or 6 gallons (in other words, not idling or trolling). Then see how much oil it takes to fill the oil tank back up to the mark, and how much fuel it takes to re-fill the fuel tank. calculate a ratio of gas to oil used, should be 50-60:1.

If you don't know the math, just post the numbers here. Be as precise as you can, for instance, how many ounces or fractions of a pint of oil and how many quarts or fractions of a gallon of gasoline.

If you burn 5-6 gallons of gasoline, you should use a pint of oil or a little less.

The longer the test you do (in other words the more gallons of gas and pints of oil used), the more accurate your calculation will be.

If you're at all uncertain of whether it's using oil properly, during the test and until you verify it, use pre-mixed fuel (at the ratio of 1 pt to 6 gallons of gas)instead of raw gas.

Then, tell us what you find. Stop the guessing.

Sounds like a plan, as an Engineer I can get you the data and results your looking for =]

50-60:1 sounds good, I'll keep an eye on it and let you guys know..most of the time when we are out boating we aren't going >30mph or so(waves) and I'd say we spend an average of 15% of our time on the water with the motor going, the rest of the time were tied up with friends, floating and enjoying the weather =]

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a plan, as an Engineer I can get you the data and results your looking for =]

50-60:1 sounds good, I'll keep an eye on it and let you guys know..most of the time when we are out boating we aren't going >30mph or so(waves) and I'd say we spend an average of 15% of our time on the water with the motor going, the rest of the time were tied up with friends, floating and enjoying the weather =]

OOPS (about my comment about the math), sorry. Sometimes boat owners don't have any background in this sort of stuff, and over the years looking at these kind of forums, I've learned that calculations like figuring mix ratios, etc. aren't always in the owner's skill set, at least in the beginning.

You might have to devote an hour to just a test run! That should give enough "data". That's what I did when I got a new-to-me used VRO engine a while back. I just went out and cruised and WOT'd for about 15 gallons of gas (didn't take long with my old-school carb'd 200 hp :( ), running premix and then determined the oil was being burned exactly right.

jetter2

Cadet

OOPS (about my comment about the math), sorry. Sometimes boat owners don't have any background in this sort of stuff, and over the years looking at these kind of forums, I've learned that calculations like figuring mix ratios, etc. aren't always in the owner's skill set, at least in the beginning.

You might have to devote an hour to just a test run! That should give enough "data". That's what I did when I got a new-to-me used VRO engine a while back. I just went out and cruised and WOT'd for about 15 gallons of gas (didn't take long with my old-school carb'd 200 hp :( ), running premix and then determined the oil was being burned exactly right.

So you think that getting some pre-mixed gas, and letting it use its normal Marine oil for some serious usage would show the oil being burned? The only reason I ask is dad said he didn't notice a drop of oil being burned compared to when the family of 4 use to go out on it and ski/tube all day..but then again were driving no where NEAR as much on the water as we did back then..I guess what I'm looking for is what would be indicitave or a motor not getting enough oil? I know I would first hear the oil whistle, but we have put probably 10-15 gallons of gas through it and dad doesn't seem think it is using any oil.

What can I look/listen for on a motor not getting enough oil short of it seizing? It runs strong and without any hesitation, were just worried to keep putting it in only to do more damage to it..The temp gauge shows normal operating temperature as well..

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

So you think that getting some pre-mixed gas, and letting it use its normal Marine oil for some serious usage would show the oil being burned? The only reason I ask is dad said he didn't notice a drop of oil being burned compared to when the family of 4 use to go out on it and ski/tube all day..but then again were driving no where NEAR as much on the water as we did back then..I guess what I'm looking for is what would be indicitave or a motor not getting enough oil? I know I would first hear the oil whistle, but we have put probably 10-15 gallons of gas through it and dad doesn't seem think it is using any oil.

What can I look/listen for on a motor not getting enough oil short of it seizing? It runs strong and without any hesitation, were just worried to keep putting it in only to do more damage to it..The temp gauge shows normal operating temperature as well..

If your engine really wasn't getting any oil, it wouldn't take long for it to sieze up. I doubt if it would take more than 5-10 minutes? Certainly not 10-15 gallons. You'd probably hear unmistakable bad sounds from the engine. This is assuming your "no oil" alarm was not working.

The "no oil" alarm, as mentioned above, is a rapid on-off-on-off, urgent sounding alarm, the tones maybe 1/2 - 1 second apart. The sound (in my words) is a loud, shrill BEEP, the same sound that you hear when you first turn on the key, but louder and rapid pulse type thing. No missing it. I personally have never heard an alarm malfunction with the clicking sound you're talking about, but that's not to say it's not possible.

Again, if you're concerned about the oil usage, there's no need to gues or hypothesize, just measure it and run premix until you're sure. That's the standard procedure. In fact the owner's manual clearly instructs on this. It also instructs to run premix and measure oil consumption every time you service the oil tank/line/etc. and every time you disconnect and then prime and reconnect the oil line.

You can also test the alarm itself. Maybe do this before you test the consumption. Again, put pre-mix in the tank. Disconnect the oil line to the fuel pump and take the boat out for a spin, or even just sit idling it in the water or on the hose. The fuel pump is now not getting any oil, and this should set off the "no oil" alarm. It might take a while to suck up any oil left in the fuel pump system, but within a few minutes, it should give you the no oil alarm. The engine won't be harmed because in the mean time, you're using pre-mix fuel which is providing the lubrication needed.

Then hook everything back up, priming the oil line properly, and run the engine long enough to use 5-6 gallons of the (pre=mix) fuel which should pull a pint give or take out of the oil tank. Again, if the oiling system is not working, you won't harm your engine becaue the pre-mix is lubing it.

If you're more concerned about what that mystery clicking sound is, I can't help you, maybe someone else can.

jetter2

Cadet

Just a little FYI..the mechanical clicking noise that is heard will temporarily go away if you adjust the trim..it only buys you about two seconds of no clicking from the cluster..an oil alarm wouldn't shut up just from pressing the trim button would it?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Check the warning horn itself. It could be defective and may only be clicking instead of beeping.