Why Boating is cheaper than Racing

Bifflefan

Commander
Here are a couple of pic's of what my other habbit is.

th_Crank.jpg

Crankshaft, $1000.00, 500.00 each piece.

th_maingurdel.jpg

Main gurdel. note the piece of the block still attached to bent end.

th_rods.jpg

Keith Black pistons and rods, 4 good ones left. Others are for a new motor design, still working on perfecting it.

th_rearofcar.jpg

Backwards into the wall at 95 MPH, when the motor stopped went from 6900 RPM's to 0 in no seconds flat, gonna feel that later on.

Was hoping they would have been bigger pics. still learning this photo stuff.

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Why Boating is cheaper than Racing

Owwwww, that hurts!

I feel for you man, I really do.

As far as the pics (I'd love to see some bigger ones of these), try downloading irfanview. It's a free program that's easy to use and will allow you to size the pics to what ever size you want. :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That car looks too nice to be doing demolition demonstrations on.

I am curious...... what was left to use on the next motor? Based on the pictures...... a handful of bolts.... the intake and the carb?

Bifflefan

Commander

That car looks too nice to be doing demolition demonstrations on.

I am curious...... what was left to use on the next motor? Based on the pictures...... a handful of bolts.... the intake and the carb?

the heads are on the new motor, but yes, other than what you mentioned, its all new. Complete new short block pan included.

:confused: Why a bifflefan with a Clint Bowyer # ?? ;)

Biffle is my guy in racing, 33 was what they had when i started reacing and just have never changed.

Bifflefan

Commander

Trying for a bigger pic. we will see.

Well that didnt work. guess ill have to try it from home later.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm glad you guys do it because I enjoy going to the local track to watch the sprints but man I cannot IMAGINE how that hobby must suck the cash out of your pocket. Makes my hobbies seem like chump change.

gonefishie

Commander

What is the return on investment on your racing stuff? make a living on it? break even? struggling for cash? I'd bet it's about as bad as tournament fishing.

Bifflefan

Commander

What is the return on investment on your racing stuff? make a living on it? break even? struggling for cash? I'd bet it's about as bad as tournament fishing.

Return on investment,
gas to the track 20.00, gas for racecars (3) of them that runn every week 100.00. entry fees for everyone 150.00. tires 100.00 each 2 per car per night total 600.00 total for one night if nothing goes wrong 850.00.
payout for winning 300.00.
its really for the fun.
its good to have great sponsers or we couldnt do it.

i forgot to try to post some better pics last night as i was watching the meteor shower. ill work on that when i get home tonite.

nlain

Commander

I'll wave at you from Bristol next weekend.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Why Boating is cheaper than Racing (new pics)

Re: Why Boating is cheaper than Racing (new pics)

Just making a little progress in the car that hit the wall. The motor in the back is for the spare car in pic 2 that im hoping to have out there is Saturday. Well see if it gets there or not. See's old but still can run with the medium size dogs. LOL

Attachments

• DSC03529.JPG
    DSC03529.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03531.JPG
    DSC03531.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 0

Bifflefan

Commander

Better shot of the rear of the car.

rearofcar.jpg

The rear of the car sits at the end of this trailer on a normal day.

aspeck

Staff member

:(OUCH!!!:(

Glad you are okay after that one. And you probably wanted a good excuse for a new engine anyway! :p Used to dabble a little in that as an active sponsor.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I can fully relate!

My Dad and I work together on a couple of cars for SCCA and HSR.

He runs a 1963' Split window Corvette, and I have a 72 Datsun 240z.

I have been working on my for 10 years off and on, have over 15k invested in it, and it still hasn't seen any track time yet!

The SCCA events are 300 bucks for the weekend for the entry fees, (400 for HSR), plus like you mentioned, tires, fuel, hotel, gas to get there and back. My dad drops at least a grand every trip, sometimes 2, and worst part there is NO prize money at all! Its all for fun. (You get a trophy for 1st and a plaque for 2nd/3rd).

Worst part is, we are doing this all on our own, we don't have any sponsors at all... would be nice to at least get the tires/fuel paid for for the weekend! UGH! hehe

here's a quick pic of mine:

ZSidePhoto.jpg

I couldn't imagine spending 2k to take my boat out for a weekend LOL

Bifflefan

Commander

Numlaar,
Thats a good looking Datsun, I ran SCCA in solo 2 for a bit in a pinto, it just didnt have to poop to keep up.
how did you get that pic in the post so big. I have tried as you see in the last post for a pic like that to no avail.

Ill also put up some pics of the other cars we have when i remember. Im usually on at work (dont tell the boss) so i dont have access to Photobucket here.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I helped crew with my brothers Dwarf car. He let me drive it a few times, but my kids didn't seem interested and was bored. That is when boating hit my family. Had to do something we all could enjoy. I still get the hankering for some fender rubbing :D

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Numlaar,
Thats a good looking Datsun, I ran SCCA in solo 2 for a bit in a pinto, it just didnt have to poop to keep up.
how did you get that pic in the post so big. I have tried as you see in the last post for a pic like that to no avail.

Ill also put up some pics of the other cars we have when i remember. Im usually on at work (dont tell the boss) so i dont have access to Photobucket here.

Thanks!

It will be nice once it's ever finished... sadly I am not in a rush, I found I just don't have the funds like my dad does, so even if I got it track ready, I couldn't afford to run it LOL ... been trying to get my dad to "sponsor" it for me ... maybe one day.

I post em at the max allowed by the forum mods (640 x 480). But yeah I use photobucket... it has a feature for the upload to automatically resize them to "Large" which is that pixel size. Makes it easy, and don't have to worry about fiddling with the photos... just upload them from the original, and bam they are forum ready. Not sure what to tell you if you can't use photobucket at work heh sorry!