mig gas welding

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: mig gas welding

OK for my next dumb question did the regulator you hqve come with the Lincoln and no they dont have a built in regulator . I would recomend getting a regulator with 2 guages on it and adjusting the gas flow with them I think you will notice a HUGE differance in the way the machine welds if you have the gas flow set right .

Rick

jonesg

Admiral

I got everything used ,but in perfect condition, on crazedlist for $200, price was right, came with wire and helmet too.
I assumed this was the right gas line, seller bought it off his neighbor but neither seemed to know anything about anything.
He said he wanted to weld his alum boat, but all I saw was steel wire.

I'll take a trip to the local harbour freight today, then try again.
Thanks for the heads up.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Hey Jones while your there grab a small roll of .23 wire it will also make a world of differance in that 100 amp machine :D. The .30-.35 Flux core is ok in a 100 amp machine due to the fact it is filled with Flux but the .23 will work much better in that machine when using gas:D.

Rick

allen6634

Seaman

OK for my next dumb question did the regulator you hqve come with the Lincoln and no they dont have a built in regulator . I would recomend getting a regulator with 2 guages on it and adjusting the gas flow with them I think you will notice a HUGE differance in the way the machine welds if you have the gas flow set right .

Rick

ok at first i see alot of talk about regulators,but i haven't heard any about flow gauge

Bifflefan

Commander

Yeh but it doesn't tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I'm not joining stainless steel. Its regular EMT soft steel.

then why us Stainless wire?

I weld all the time in a t-shirt. but i use reguler 030 wire. there is always some sparks, but ive never used SS wire before.

FYI never buy wire from harbor freight. get the good stuff and things will be much better.

jonesg

Admiral

I got my wire from Airgas dealer where I got the gas tank.
I'm playing around with different stuff, I never claimed to have a clue.

The guage on the tank says "compressed gas regulator 650L , lincoln electric"

Rickairmedic

Commander

Jones any chance of a picture of your regulator . I tried searching Lincolns sight but it wasnt alot of help :D.

Rick

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I missed the first part about welding EMT. Why in the world would you think it is necessary to use stainless when the metal around your weld is going to be rusting anyway once the galvanized coating is gone?

jonesg

Admiral

yeh yeh yeh, been a very busy week for us here.
Just have to remember what I need to remember.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The bottle of inert gas would ideally have a flow meter after the pressure regulator not the flow regulator I see included in a lot of these harry homeowner setups. Flow regulation can be critical in a lot of applications.

Remember too, EMT is $rap steel. Full of contaminates. Causes lots of pops and snaps when welded.

imagegetter.pl

jonesg

Admiral

Ship me your pro welding rig, I'll probably return it if I get around to it.
And don't forget to send some quality stainless tube too,
oh and a bender.

jonesg

Admiral

Can't get the pics to load, got a couple anyway.

Attachments

• boatresto018.jpg
    boatresto018.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boatresto019.jpg
    boatresto019.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Ship me your pro welding rig, I'll probably return it if I get around to it.
And don't forget to send some quality stainless tube too,
oh and a bender.

I?ve have a Millermatic 251 and a Lincoln Idealarc 300/300 TIG. Which one do you want to barrow?

BTW: Nice regualtor. Where do you set the flow? Usally run between 30-35 cfm.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I?ve have a Millermatic 251 and a Lincoln Idealarc 300/300 TIG. Which one do you want to barrow?

BTW: Nice regualtor. Where do you set the flow? Usally run between 30-35 cfm.
Should run 15-20 or more if you are outside.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I beleive that is a fixed regulator, much like your gas grill. Problem is you never know if they are working correctly. I scrap it for a 2 gauge regulator if you can. Even under the best conditions galvanized makes a dirty weld that pops and snaps. Have you tested the weld on a peice of cold rolled? I'd do that before I bought a regulator. It should at least tell you the welder is running properly. If it is running properly and it still won't work on the EMt I'd just switch back and weld it DC. If you have a torch you might try to heat the weld area to burn off the junk, wire brush then weld. A propane torch may get hot enough to burn the galvanizing, I have never tried it with one though.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Some galvanized materials have just a glavanized coating. You can grind it off and then weld. For thoroughly galvanized material I always use E7018 stick electrode in DC.
MIG welding on galvanized is not advised if you want it to hold, the weld will contain impurities.