mig gas welding

jonesg

Admiral
I got a tank of argon/co2 for my lincoln mig and some stainless wire .35

the problem is its throwing spatter all over the place, with flux core I can weld in a T shirt no problem.

I switched the polarity over from flux core settings.
Any suggestions?

I'm welding 1 1/4 inch EMT, cleaned.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: mig gas welding

Yeh but it doesn't tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I'm not joining stainless steel. Its regular EMT soft steel.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The people on this site will help you:

http://weldingweb.com/

One thing for sure...everything has to be clean clean clean! You can get away with a lot using flux core but not with gas.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Why are you using stainless wire when you're not welding on stainless? Just get the same size copper wire with no flux core and have at it. Some guys also swear by straight argon or an 80/20 mix of argon/co2

Capt Ron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stainless steel wire will require a helium mix.

Capt Ron

stevenj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the emt conduit is galvanized. will cause some spatter

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the emt conduit is galvanized. will cause some spatter

and is dangerous as heck to weld. Have a look at this site for a warning regarding welding galvanized material: http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/safety3/index.htm

as for your spatter problem, use copper coated steel wire, and make sure you are using enough gas. If flow is too low it can increase spatter (along with porous weldments).

jonesg

Admiral

and is dangerous as heck to weld. Have a look at this site for a warning regarding welding galvanized material: http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/safety3/index.htm

as for your spatter problem, use copper coated steel wire, and make sure you are using enough gas. If flow is too low it can increase spatter (along with porous weldments).

Yes I know all about galvi zinc poisoning, sick of hearing it already.:p

I have some copper coat steel wire to try, maybe give that a shot but then I lose the rust protection.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Jones what is tyour flow rate on the gas ? Why are you trying to weld regular steel with stainless wire ? The rust factor wont make a differance as you are melting the regular steel into the puddle and this most likely is good part of your problem .

Your gas flow rate should be around 15-25 PSI when the trigger is pulled and wire is being fed . I know this will sound stupid but I have done it and I can assure you many many others have as well ( is the tank turned on ) :D. I would load regular non flux carbon steel wire into the welder and get your flow right on the gas .

Also what size welder are you using if its a 110 then get some .23 wire to play with with the gas if its 220 it relly doesnt matter . The only other thing I can think of is you have the amps up to high that will also cause major splatter .

When all else fails go here www.shopfloortalk.com they are an awesome group of people much like here only there are a bunch of welders over there that do it every day to make a living . I have been a member over there almost since day one and I wouldnt even waste my time with weenie web ( no offense to the OP of that site) but theres alot of guys over there that think they know what they are doing .

Rick

jonesg

Admiral

Jones what is tyour flow rate on the gas ? Why are you trying to weld regular steel with stainless wire ? The rust factor wont make a differance as you are melting the regular steel into the puddle and this most likely is good part of your problem .

Your gas flow rate should be around 15-25 PSI when the trigger is pulled and wire is being fed . I know this will sound stupid but I have done it and I can assure you many many others have as well ( is the tank turned on ) :D. I would load regular non flux carbon steel wire into the welder and get your flow right on the gas .

Also what size welder are you using if its a 110 then get some .23 wire to play with with the gas if its 220 it relly doesnt matter . The only other thing I can think of is you have the amps up to high that will also cause major splatter .

When all else fails go here www.shopfloortalk.com they are an awesome group of people much like here only there are a bunch of welders over there that do it every day to make a living . I have been a member over there almost since day one and I wouldnt even waste my time with weenie web ( no offense to the OP of that site) but theres alot of guys over there that think they know what they are doing .

Rick

I tried it with copper coated regular wire, not much better so I ditched the gas and went back to flux core. I don't see any way to regulate the gas pressure, its turned on or not. Its a weldpac Lincoln 100.

a70eliminator

Captain

Too bad about that, argon gas is the cats XXX IMO. You have to be aware the shielding gas is only good if you have it directed into the moulten metal, it's like if your welding outside and the wind is blowing forget it, as if you in a garage welding with a fan blowing on you, that will screw it up too, when it's right you know it, the sound of sizzling bacon and a weld that looks like a roll of dimes laid out flat.

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

:eek: gas not regulated? get a regulator mate to much gass blows the weld out too.
good luck

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

do we have spell check on here lol :rolleyes:

jonesg

Admiral

Rick

Yeh, just spent 2 hrs reading that site,
then remembered I need to get busy welding.:)
good stuff

Rickairmedic

Commander

Jones you should have a regulator to attatch to the tank although I wont swear one came with your 100 AMP Lincoln . The regulator has a T shaped knob on it that you adjust pressure with like this one from Horrible freight :D . Ok actually this one has a knob on it buuuuuuuuut anyways once you turn the tank on the right guage will read tank pressure and the left guage in the picture will show the pressure at the torch aaaand as you adjust the knob on the regulator it will adjust the pressure going to the torch . The fun part is you hve to pull the trigger on the torch to adjust it properly. You do have a regulator right :D. Oh yeah nd you managed to get out of SFT in 2 hours daaang I think thats a record for a newby over there most guys get sucked in there like over here and cant stop reading for a week :D.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94841

Rick

Last edited:

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Last edited:

jonesg

Admiral

Jones you should have a regulator to attatch to the tank although I wont swear one came with your 100 AMP Lincoln . The regulator has a T shaped knob on it that you adjust pressure with like this one from Horrible freight :D . Ok actually this one has a knob on it buuuuuuuuut anyways once you turn the tank on the right guage will read tank pressure and the left guage in the picture will show the pressure at the torch aaaand as you adjust the knob on the regulator it will adjust the pressure going to the torch . The fun part is you hve to pull the trigger on the torch to adjust it properly. You do have a regulator right :D. Oh yeah nd you managed to get out of SFT in 2 hours daaang I think thats a record for a newby over there most guys get sucked in there like over here and cant stop reading for a week :D.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94841

Rick

The connector that goes to my tank only has one guage, its reads tank pressure, I wonder if the lincoln has a built in regulator, opening and closing the tank valve doesn't change the gas flow sound at the gun.

I stuck it in my ear to listen ,
its ok, I made sure the ground clamp was on my tongue.:rolleyes: