1989 4.3 rebuild ran perfect now wont start

mercinmecrazy

Recruit
I recently replaced the heads, valves and rockers on a 1989 mercruiser. Per the manual I timed it to 8* BTDC. This is a series iv I believe so it does not have the purple/white wire that is grounded for timing. During timing , the light would jump 3 or 4 revolutions but then return to normal. I am leaning towards the timing chain. It started first turn every try for 10 times. Now it wont start at all. I checked compression in all cylinders. I have spark at all cylinders. Drained and refilled fuel tank with new fuel separator. It seem to pick and choose when it wants to run. It runs very strong when it fires. Purrs like a big V6 man kitty. Any thoughts please?

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 4.3 rebuild ran perfect now wont start

Sounds electrical. Check/clean all connections.

mercinmecrazy

Recruit

smell my brain cooking? Pulled / cleaned all connections and tested for continuity. I disconnected the grey wire from the negative side of the ignition coils that run to tach to rule that out. I have 12.75 vdc on both sides of coil. I have voltage at the black wire side of the points as well. I cannot get spark to save my life. Engine ran perfect up until several days ago. The oil pressure sensor appears to be touching the distributor housing but that shouldnt matter as they are both attached to a grounded block. Neutral switch is not stuck. Ignition and alternator are double checked and wored correctly. I pulled the wiring harness behind the engine. No corrosion to be found. There is a solenoid on the back of the shift cable bracket. I believed that was for the starter and didn't impact spark. Either way I also pulled and cleaned those connections (12.75vdc) and nothing. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

cooter2506

Ok do you have thunderbolt 4 ignition or do you have points?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Just how do we time an engine with a light if the motors not running?
What ign system do you have ? T-Bolt or points?
Basic timing set correctly with #1 at TDC for dist install.?

jtybt

You mean to say it runs intermittently?

Gotta be some electrical problem.

Is there some kind of sputtering that may point to fuel problem?

mercinmecrazy

Recruit

sorry, I have points which are brand new. 1989 gm 4.3 262 OMC with points, distributor and ignition coil. The engine started first try after rebuild ( distributor was marked at previous timing setting with a white paint line). It ran strong and started with every crank. Allowed engine to warm up (with flushers on of course). Set timing @ 8* BTDC(it was at seven*btdc before). Ran fine for 45 minutes total ( 8 or 9 five minutes cycles) that I started and stopped. Woke up next day to give a final compression test and do a final check on all connections. However I touched nothing and decided to start it first just cause I wantyed to hear my rebuild thump one more time. After roughly 10 attempts to start and a little starting fluid, I got nothing. I threw on a new coil, points and rotor just cause it is a cheap gamble and the points were shot anyway. Have no spark at coil. I then did all checks mentioned in my second post. Recap - igntion wired correctly double checked, alternator wired correctly, double checked(3 wire). Coil wired with 2 greys and 1 black distributor wire to the negative side. Purple/red and red to the pos side. I have 12.75vdc at both sides of coil(factory wiring). Neutral shift switch makes/ breaks continuity and is properly positioned / not stuck. I have 12.75 vdc at the points. I pulled all coil wires 1 at a time and swapped them out on my truck and used an inline spark tester. All wires passing spark. I was very judgemental of the coil to distributor high tension wire. I wiggled and jiggled to make sure it is not broken inside. I also disconnected the tach wire from the coil and checked for spark again incase tach was bad. Nothing. So i am puzzled, ran like a champ then just quit. Double checked every wiring harness visually, no corrosion to be found. Any wire I was able to isolate showed continuity. I did not check resistance though. It has to be something simple. Thank you everyone in advance for your thoughts and consideration and taking time to respond. Ps, if anyone needs rockers for an 89 4.3 gm I have 4 brand new left over that I don't need. I can drop them in a flat rate usps box if they will help anyone.

mercinmecrazy

Recruit

make sure I clarify -- it ran perfectly fineon command for two days , now will not start at all. Not intermittent issue , no spark at all . Thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

check the points again, they need to open and close for spark. Using a ohm meter set to R X1, one lead to ground, one lead to the black wire going to the points,crank motor, meter should move indicating opening and closing of points.

ziggy

Admiral

I recently replaced the heads, valves and rockers on a 1989 mercruiser. Per the manual I timed it to 8* BTDC. This is a series iv I believe
sorry, I have points which are brand new. 1989 gm 4.3 262 OMC with points,
guess i'm confused. which one ya got?

i also see that you've replaced the points. did you set point gap or used a dwell meter to set the dwell. dwell effects timing.
check the points again
that seems like a good place to start to me too..