Hi From Arizona a Few Questions

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
First I would like to start off by saying Hi. I'm a new member and don't even own a boat yet.

I grew up around boating and I desire to have my own boat. Its been along time since I have been on a speed boat. It will be a few months before I buy a boat because I'm saving the money to pay cash and I want to buy during the off season. Is there an off season in AZ? LOL. So in the mean time I will be a site lurker and poster.

I live in Gilbert AZ so I have access to 5 lakes and 3 of the lakes is 30 minutes from me and the other two are about 1 1/2 hr away.

OK for the Questions.

What is the legal age for someone to drive a Boat? I have a 15yr son that I would like him to do some of the driving while mom and dad sit back and drink lemonaide. :) Does it vary by state?

I would like to do some solo boating. Just me, myself and I away from the stress of life. How does one launch and retrieve the boat by themselves?
I'm planning on buying a 20ft bowrider.

Thanks.

David
In Sunny AZ.

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hi From Arizona a Few Questions

Launching and retrieving is easy for me by myself I just back it in and pull it off and tie it up. And do the same on the way out. I would recommend taking a boater safety course online or anywhere else, it will teach you more than anyone here can about the laws and what things are. But a 15 year old can drive but needs to be 16 to drive alone I belive.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes my wife and I will do the boating Course. My son will never be driving the boat alone.

Thanks.

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

Have your son take the coarse as well, it will help him with helping you and you never know maybe he will want a boat of his own some day. Start him out now and have a lifetime of fun.

EDIT: by the way search online and you will find a couple free boating courses that you can print out your certificate when you are done.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have your son take the coarse as well, it will help him with helping you and you never know maybe he will want a boat of his own some day. Start him out now and have a lifetime of fun.

EDIT: by the way search online and you will find a couple free boating courses that you can print out your certificate when you are done.

I wonder if the Boating Course will help with my Boat Insurance rates.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

There is a really good online boating course here: My.boatUS.com

As for solo riding...since you are looking at a 20ft you will probably be using a drive on bunk trailer. That size boat is a little too big to hand load...especially if there is any wind and/or current. I know it sounds scary, but you'll get the hang of it quickly! Just make sure that your trailer has the guide poles at the back...just aim and go.

Every state has their own boating laws...here in Florida the legal age for piloting a boat has just changed, and anyone below age 21 (I think) needs to have a boating course certification. Google your state for the rules....

Welcome aboard!

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

That I don't know, it may but my Ins Co didn't even ask for it. I know that if you are boating near me I would appreiate that you know the rules. There are many deaths each year by people just not knowing something as simple as a light bulb needing to be turned on or visible. Safety course should be step one and step two is get out on the water and practice and have a good time.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I wonder if the Boating Course will help with my Boat Insurance rates.

I doubt it...but shop around for pricing.

I assumed that my car/truck/home/PWC underwriter would give me the best deal, but they were outrageous! Found great coverage for a ton less at My.boatUS.com.

Shop until you drop....:)

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys for the information. I'm learning boat insurance is really cheap anyway.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm getting addicted to this site. Don't let my boss see me. :eek:

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I am right there with you. But I am the only one in the office so I have no worries.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We have large cubes in my office and my boss is 2 cubes away from me. :cool:

Anyway he doesn't bother me too much. ;)

The more I look and this site the more I wan't a boat badly. Must wait until the fall to purchase one. Man there is alot of boats available in AZ on Craigs.

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I would start checking as soon as you have the funds because you never know when a good deal will pop up. When I was in the market I checked several times a day because they can go as soon as they show up.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome aboard AZ, solo launching and retrieving is easy, don't worry about it.

I have been launching and retrieving by myself (25 ft BR) as my wife gains confidence to help. She's finally getting it. Now if I could teach her to handle either the boat or truck/trailer completely, we would be the fastest at the ramp (wishful boasting);).

When you get up to Roosevelt, look at the dam and think about me, I was on the project team (J.A. Jones) that reconstructed it back in the mid 90's.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm setting up a saving account for the boating purchase fund. I plan to have the money by early fall. I do not want to go into dept for a boat even though there is still nearly two months of heat in AZ to go boating. I figure I can boat during the winter months as well.

rjlipscomb thanks for the comments. I have visited Roosevelt and its a nice lake. Its about 90 minutes from me.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh rjlipscomb I lived in Las Vegas from 1992 to 2000. Lake Meade is a nice big lake.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

I lived in both Payson and Mesa when working on the dam. I really liked living in Arizona. 15 minutes to nowhere. 15 minutes to everything else.

We've been here in Vegas for just over 2 years. We enjoy Lake Mead. Easy to get to and navigate on.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well the East valley has grown alot since the year 2000 but has slowed down alot in the last few years. I live in Gilbert at it was rank the fastest growing City in the nation for several years.

I visit Vegas about 3 times a year to visit my sister in laws and Vegas has grown alot at well.

dizzy1

Seaman

Not sure the age for drivers, but I also live in Gilbert and usually hit up Canyon or Saguaro lakes, i've seen some young kids driving. The sheriffs don't seem to stop anyone unless your being stupid or stranded. I let my daughter drive a few times and she's 6(of course sitting on my lap as I man the throttle she steers) I recommend if you just going out with the family to hit up Canyon, pretty laid back and plenty of beach/grass to park on and set up tent. For little more of a party, hit saguaro on the back sandy beach, gets a little wild like spring break on some days. Don't take your kids on the back beach, stay to the front beaches or coves and you'll have a great time at either.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm glad someone local has posted.

How is the road getting into canyon Lake. I havent been there before.

Thanks Dizzy1.