1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

thanks vegas, I figure it wont get very wet in the engine compartment, so we shall prob just do paint. then on the outside we got some sleeping bag foam pads from wall mart for 4 bux a piece, then I have 5 yards of marine vinyl to cover that. We gunna try to do piping ourselves.

system-f

Too bad we aren't closer. I need to get rid, ie. give away the engine cover for my boat and it is exactly what you are building except made of glass.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

From what I hear a ZIPPER FOOT is what ya need to get close stitches for the piping

my MIL just scored us a good iron sewing machine at the second-hand store....now we can sew just about anything.

1rst rain in years here in Vegas....just discovered the Sleekcraft had water get in..leaked at a low spot in the cover......soaked the carpet...vacuumed it out ......dang rain! now well prob get mold unless I put a space heater in there and dry it all out (fire hazard issue tho)

I just made a PVC pipe support system for my boat cover so water dont pool up and get into the boat, should be pretty good now......

Id suggest the same same for yours...all that nice work and one rain to get it all wet YIKES!!!!!!!

thrillhouse700

right now its sitting in the garage so it stays dry. we have a PVC tent already when it is outside. They work great!

System F, the engine cover is far far from done. Its getting some Customization :)

system-f

Pics of PVC tent. Pics of engine cover wood construciton.

thrillhouse700

Will def get the pics, we are not working on it today. As of right now the engine cover is just what you see, 3 planks with our angles cut and thats it.....

Probably work on it tomorrow.

system-f

I'm the one that wanted to know about the seats. What kind and where did you get them? I need one of those badly.

thrillhouse700

They are Wise seats, and we got them at bass pro shop, for 60 each I believe. Pedestals extra, think they were 30 each.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

thrillhouse700,
Great looking but then we have come to expect that from you guys.
You have a lot of great ideas, I liked the rear supports. You won't have any rot with those.
Great job.
Bob

thrillhouse700

thx, that was lost causes idea. It was real painful tho.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, you guys are hardcore...great work...keep on with the ideas...cool stuff! That rod rack gets a big thumbs up :cool:

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Its all in good fun, heck were tinkerers...thats what we do!
and most always at a loss when we do sell "whatever" it is

either way put another notch on the experience belt!

Rock on!

Thrill I have no experience at cap install etc so the other will have to chime in

Happy Holidays to you guys!

thrillhouse700

Finally we got back at it with the boat,
this made things so much easier.....
Heater.jpg

We turn it off whenever we do anything involving flammable things, still have the garage open for air but it heats the surrounding area to about 65-68 so its very comfy.

We got to work on our rod holders some more. We decided to plastidip the rock rack parts because we don't want to scratch the rods.

Plastidip.jpg

RodRackPlasti.jpg

RodRackPlastiCloseup.jpg

Next we got to work on the engine cover. We started our new seat bottoms but then Lost cause figured out we needed the engine cover done first or else they wont fit.

We started off with our roughed up cover, sanded it down and put a coat of two part epoxy that we had left over from our paint job.
Enginecoverepoxied.jpg

Then we got our foam padding from walmart (sleeping bag pads). We used spray adhesive to put the foam on.
Enginecoverfoam1.jpg

thrillhouse700

We got all 3 sides covered in foam....

EngineCoverFoamed.jpg

We have some very nice hinges from the old engine cover, we decided to use them, but did not want to squash the foam down and did not want to mount them on the inside or hide them. So what we did was put two wooden plates on the cover roughly the same thickness as the foam.

Enginecoverhingeplate.jpg

Next, we cut some 2x4s and spread the open end of the engine cover an extra inch wider than the rest.....

Then we laid out and cut the general shape of the vinyl...
Vinyl.jpg

Stretched all the vinyl out over the engine cover and stapled the hell out of it.
VinylInstalled.jpg

Remove the 2x4s and voila the vinyl tightens up and no wrinkles or sags.
Vinyledwithtopon.jpg

Here is a picture of the hinge plates I was talking about. With and without vinyl.
Enginecoverhinges.jpg

thrillhouse700

And the final pic of the evening. The semi finished engine cover sitting in its place.

Enginecoverinboat.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

thrillhouse700,
Well, as usual, it looks great. The 2X4 idea was a good one.
Keep up the great work.
Bob

system-f

Awesome work. What kind of sleeping bags did that foam come out of?

thrillhouse700

No it was just the camping pads that go UNDER the sleeping bag. Find em in the camping section at walmart for 5.88 each! We got a total of 6, let you guys know how far it goes.

How good is that foam at keeping out water or holding it in? Love the idea and am picking up parts for my dash and motor cover so that would be a lovely inexpensive foam. Please let me know how quickly you think it will dry or if it will absorb water at all

~Adam