Bowriders and Fishing ?

Plasma George

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I'm in the market for a bowrider that I want to ski and tube and cruise with. BUT, my buddies do plenty of fishing with their little ones, and I have a feeling the Mom's would rather us fish, then have me pull their kids around in 20' deep water.:eek:

So, with nice seats, carpetting, no wells.....can you fish off a bowrider without destroying the interior ?

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bowriders and Fishing ?

of course you can, a 5 gallon bucket and a couple of rod holders from dicks sporting goods and your good to go,,assuming your doing this in fresh water- lake type deal,,salt water / bay have seen it done,,but the boats are not pretty

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I had a piece of plywood cut to fit the size of the dog house with padded vinyl on one side and the other is plain wood with 1x2 lumber trimming it like a picture frame. It makes a nice big cutting board and a fish spot to keep the interior nice.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I fished for years on a Sea Nymph Fish-n-Ski 20' with a 90hp Johnson and it worked great for trolling or anchoring and also tubing and skiing. We had a cover for the front that we'd use when trolling and then unsnap it when tubing or skiing.

For casting off the open bow you can drop in a piece of plywood for a deck, even add a pedestal seat mount if you want it to resemble a bass boat up front.

The fish-n-ski models usually have a livewell which helps keep the boat clean if you just toss the fish in there rather than have them flopping around on the carpet. Snap-in carpet also helps for this reason.:)

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

It can definitely be done, just make sure you give it a good cleanup afterwards.

I had a wellcraft 215 eclipse BR that I used to fish from all the time.

One thing extra I did was, cut out a piece of 3/4" ply that fit the bow area, and seal it. Built in some removeable fasteners for it, so I could take it out, but it wouldn't come flying out of the boat when running :).

If I knew we were just fishing that day, I would take out the bow seat cushions, and lay down/fasten the plywood for a casting/fishing deck.

Used a portable bait bucket, and cooler for the "catch" and you're good to go! :)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You can play football in the living room if you're careful, too. Every boy tried it on a rainy day. Remember the results?

Get a boat for fishing-a fiberglass center console outboard--and you can also do all the tubing and cruising you want. Not the other way around.

You can't move around in a bow rider, especially a "sofa-boat." You want to be able to stand up and get by the others. Now, some bowriders (usually called dual console) are roomy enough; look at Sea Hunt and Key West to get the idea. Numlaar has the right boat-- a wellcraft, also look at a Grady-- to do both b/c it has removable cushions. And even on my open boats I usually use a bait cooler and a fish cooler instead of built-ins.

It's more important to raise your children to know how to fish than to sit and look (cruising) or sit and ride (tubing). The Mom's are right.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it floats, it can be fished out of!!! I have a large bowrider runabout myself and fish off of it everytime I take it out. I built a simple livewell out of a cooler and aerator pump then stand on the swim platform so I can keep the little greasy fish away from the nice ammenties inside the boat. My boat may not look like the ideal fishing vessel, but it does float and it does catch fish!!! Good luck!!!

Have lots a rags handy though...

bear_69cuda

Commander

I had the same issue, when I was shopping for boats I really wanted a Tracker, the wife said " where do the people go? "

So I made my own Fish / Ski boat!

jse_boat_023.jpg

jse_boat_054.jpg

jse_boat_018.jpg

Shizzy

Ensign

I have fished out of my friends 19' Sea Ray many times. He also did the carpeted plywood with a pedastal set in the bow area as well.

the way we work it with three guys is the owner gets the good seat up front and the trolling motor pedal, one guy stands on the swim platform and casts off the stern and one guy casts off either side in the middle. we usually just hang a wire basket off the transom if we are keeping anything.

its not ideal but we usualy C.P.R. 99% of the time we are out so a live well isnt really needed. my two friends only use one rod and spinner baits so there is no real need for rod storeage.

your three main disadvantages are going to be

#1 rod storage
#2 no livewell
#3 Room to move and cast

But then again, any boat is better then casting from shore.... :D