3.7L Merc 4cyl, Backfiring Issue and Ruff Idle

boatforever

Recruit
I have a 1984 3.7L Merc 4 cylinder with the following verified set-up, new points with a measured dwell of 28, timing measured at 4 BTC. New plugs and wires, cap, rotor and coil. Rebuilt carb and set to factory settings. Idle screw is 1.25 turns out, also i replaced the float needle with the spring load verision which eliminates flooding during idle. Compression is 155 on all 4 cylinders.

When i hit the gas hard the engine pops, aka back fire and the idle is ruff.

Usually i will change the gap or timing when the engine backfires but the engine has great power when you ease into the throttle and will pull up any skier.

Also I am not 100% sure how the timing advance, my thought is that it mechanically increases with RPM and it does not have an assisted advance which might cause the backfiring during hard throttle.

Is this normal for the motor, the ruff idle might be normal but i dont think backfiring is ok.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3.7L Merc 4cyl, Backfiring Issue and Ruff Idle

Idle screw is 1.25 turns out,

Sounds lean to me
If that is the setting from the book, it's only a starting point. The mixture has to be set with the engine running at idle to get it set for your engine.

CAPTKEV85

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be sure to check the condeser is screwed tight mine loosend up and started back firing. I converted to electronic for 120 bucks.

Knotenuftime

Cadet

Check to see that your intake manifold bolts are tight