Resealing the inside of engine compartment??

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
I was wondering If there was a way to buy something in a spray can that I could spay over the top of the existing fiberglass covered wood?? It is showing signs of cracks from age of boat and from being stored outside, so I am wanting to spray over inside of the engine compartment to reseal it?? Make sense??

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Resealing the inside of engine compartment??

Why not just get some Polly and a couple fom brushes :D.

Rick

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anything that would really protect it well would be dangerous to the human body without good equipment to protect yourself. ie: stuff that would come out of a automotive spray gun.

I like the above suggestion and just use something out of a can with a brush.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Can I get that here on Iboats?? I store the boat outside under a cover and I know moisture gets trapped inside and just the age of boat I think she has held up pretty good for the way previous owners treated her. Polly? pretty easy to do with foam brush? How long would you say in your opinion would it last being stored under plastic tarp?

Rickairmedic

Commander

You can actully get it at Homie desperate or Lowes or even Wally world :D. I was speaking of polyurethane which you can find in the paint department of any of the above 3 its not really boat specific but would work fine for what your trying to do seal the wood.

Rick

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Ok:), I was looking at some of the products here on I boats to see what they had for doing what i am wanting to do, ventalation isn't goig to be a problem since I will be doing out side any way, What about a good ORANGE cleaner, Do you think that would be good enough?? Like ORANGE mister clean? And let her dry out completely first?? I knew what you meant by Polly:), I was looking at this, Would this work too? Is polly as good, If so, I will do it(polly)
Thanks ...........Pat
http://www.iboats.com/Gluvit_Epoxy_...73904736--**********.612213379--view_id.40398

Rickairmedic

Commander

Actully yes Gluvit would be better although more expensive and you can get it on here or at a local marine dealer near you . I got my gluvit from my local dealer no shipping :D. You will want to clean it well and I would say the orange cleaner should work ok then let it dry well and put the Polly or Gluvit on . Most of us with Tin cans are well versed with Gluvit as its what we use inside our hulls to seal seams and rivets prior to putting our decks back in :D.

Rick

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Cool Rick!! Thanks!! I was replacing the starter and other maintenance on the engine and thats when I started wondering what I could do?? I am getting a couple of soft spots on the floor and was wanting to repair that also with out having to tear up the whole floor, Some type of restorer put on thick enough for strenth, and put carpet back down, right in front of the engine compartment and infront of the starb. side seat cushon. any ideas there??

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ooooh the deck thts a whole differant animal :D. I would do a little exploring and make sure the stringers and transom are ok if so you could simply cut out the bad aras of the Deck and put new wood down in those locations sealing them with resin and glass and then just either put the old carpet back down or replace the caroet.

Rick

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Its new carpet I put down 2 years ago and is still in great shape, the boat sat 2 years with out a cover and now this season soft spot back where the water settled from bow being raised all the way up, I will lift carpet an inspect it good with pics also and see what ya think!! When I do I will post new thread, Thanks for the advice for the inside of the engine compartment, will take pics of before and after too:). Thanks again.............Pat

Rickairmedic

Commander

No problem Pat were all here to help each other out :D. I would say hopefully if the plug was out with the bow up the transom and stringers may be ok and the water may have just settled on the deck back there nd thus the soft spots. Thats why alot of us who are doing resto's are not going back with carpet . I dont even like the stuff in my house solid oak throughout other than the bthrooms which are tile :D.

Rick