I want your opinion! A.S.A.P.

Miroash

Banned
I am considering buyin this powerhead, tell me what you think
This is how the ad reads:

THIS IS A 90 HORSEPOWER EVENRUDE POWERHEAD THAT HAS BEEN IN STORAGE AT A GARAGE THAT IS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. THE COMPRESSION IS VERY GOOD ALL FOUR CYLINDERS HAVE MORE THAN 100 POUNDS COMPRESSION TO CHECK IT I PUT POWER TO THE SOLENOID AND CRANKED IT OVER AND USED A SNAP ON COMPRESSION GAUGE. IT HAS NOT BEEN RUN IN YEARS, THE CARBS WILL NEED TO BE OVERHAULED. I DID NOT PUT ANY OIL IN THE CYLINDERS BEFORE TESTING IT. ALSO I DESCRIBED THIS AS ACCURATELY AS POSSIBLE. I SPENT TWO AND ONE HALF YEARS AT THE LOCAL TRADE SCHOOL LEARNING MARINE MECHANICS 1989-92, I ALSO HAD MY OWN BOAT MOTOR REPAIR BUSINESS UNTIL THE MARKET WENT BUST. IF THIS WERE JUNK I WOULD TAKE IT APART FOR THE CRANK, RODS AND BEARINGS. I HAVE REBUILT MORE THAN 50OF THESE POWERHEADS IN THE PAST. THE ONLY REASON OMC STOPED BUILDING THIS MOTOR IS BECAUSE OF PROPOSED EMMISSION REGULATIONS BACK IN 1992 OR SO. OTHER THAN THAT THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST RELIABLE OUTBOARD POWERHEADS EVER BUILT.

I have 90hp johnson I can take carbs and whatever off of. He is asking $300 obo, what do you think is a good price? if you look at the photos you can see the compressions written for each cylinder at least thats what I think that is.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I want your opinion! A.S.A.P.

I am considering buyin this powerhead, tell me what you think
This is how the ad reads:

THIS IS A 90 HORSEPOWER EVENRUDE POWERHEAD THAT HAS BEEN IN STORAGE AT A GARAGE THAT IS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. THE COMPRESSION IS VERY GOOD ALL FOUR CYLINDERS HAVE MORE THAN 100 POUNDS COMPRESSION TO CHECK IT I PUT POWER TO THE SOLENOID AND CRANKED IT OVER AND USED A SNAP ON COMPRESSION GAUGE. IT HAS NOT BEEN RUN IN YEARS, THE CARBS WILL NEED TO BE OVERHAULED. I DID NOT PUT ANY OIL IN THE CYLINDERS BEFORE TESTING IT. ALSO I DESCRIBED THIS AS ACCURATELY AS POSSIBLE. I SPENT TWO AND ONE HALF YEARS AT THE LOCAL TRADE SCHOOL LEARNING MARINE MECHANICS 1989-92, I ALSO HAD MY OWN BOAT MOTOR REPAIR BUSINESS UNTIL THE MARKET WENT BUST. IF THIS WERE JUNK I WOULD TAKE IT APART FOR THE CRANK, RODS AND BEARINGS. I HAVE REBUILT MORE THAN 50OF THESE POWERHEADS IN THE PAST. THE ONLY REASON OMC STOPED BUILDING THIS MOTOR IS BECAUSE OF PROPOSED EMMISSION REGULATIONS BACK IN 1992 OR SO. OTHER THAN THAT THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST RELIABLE OUTBOARD POWERHEADS EVER BUILT.

I have 90hp johnson I can take carbs and whatever off of. He is asking $300 obo, what do you think is a good price? if you look at the photos you can see the compressions written for each cylinder at least thats what I think that is.

doesnt seem a bad deal... depends how bad you need it ...

bustermin

Banned

i take it you will be unable to hear it run since it is already off. I would see how low the seller is willing to go, its a bit of a gamble as far as it running, but plenty of parts to be able to get your money back with.

Miroash

Banned

doesnt seem a bad deal... depends how bad you need it ...

The motor I currently have has a dead cylinder. Also, I have a 1982 90hp Johnson, since this is an Evinrude powerhead, will this powerhead work with my Johnson, like the seller claims?

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Think carefully about this, this could very well be another parts donor since by his own admission it hadn't run in years which means the cylinders were drier than a popcorn f**t when he spun it over for the compression test.

ryendube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Think carefully about this, this could very well be another parts donor since by his own admission it hadn't run in years which means the cylinders were drier than a popcorn f**t when he spun it over for the compression test.

I think its scam simply cause he states he is a OB mechanic and owned shop blah blah blah and then goes out of way to say no oil was used for compression test. Way too much information is given and it isnt really pertinent information.

If was straight shooter the ad would be worded more simpler and straight forward.

ryendube

Petty Officer 1st Class

damn you outboard mechanics have 3 years of scooling? Automotive mechanics only have 32 weeks, rest is aprenticeship. IMHO guys full of it.

Miroash

Banned

I think its scam simply cause he states he is a OB mechanic and owned shop blah blah blah and then goes out of way to say no oil was used for compression test. Way too much information is given and it isnt really pertinent information.

If was straight shooter the ad would be worded more simpler and straight forward.

The reason he mentions he did not use oils is because I asked if he did when he did the compression test, because I was thinking if he loaded the cylinders with oil and did the test it would give a false reading. so I asked if he used oil or not. and i also mentioned how I cant be sure it is reliable because it has been sitting, and that just because it has compression doesnt mean the motor doesnt have a knock or a crack, and I have no way to know for sur since I am unable to run it prior to purchasing it. That is why he rambled on the way he did.

bustermin

Banned

The reason he mentions he did not use oils is because I asked if he did when he did the compression test, because I was thinking if he loaded the cylinders with oil and did the test it would give a false reading. so I asked if he used oil or not. and i also mentioned how I cant be sure it is reliable because it has been sitting, and that just because it has compression doesnt mean the motor doesnt have a knock or a crack, and I have no way to know for sur since I am unable to run it prior to purchasing it. That is why he rambled on the way he did.

Sounds like he was telling you what he thought you wanted to hear.

ryendube

Petty Officer 1st Class

and you asked him about his credentials as well?

You asked for opinion I gave it now your justifying the points I pointed out, buy it I could not care less. ME however dont like the wording of the response.

If i was selling it my ad would be factual and to the point, year, model, compression readings of all cyl. what it comes with and when it was run last.

I would not feel the need to convince you of anything, least of all share my work/bussiness history.

what OB mechanic would crank an OB that has been sitting without lubeing it up? if compression is well over 100psi why make the point that no oil was used?

bustermin

Banned

and you asked him about his credentials as well?

You asked for opinion I gave it now your justifying the points I pointed out, buy it I could not care less. ME however dont like the wording of the response.

If i was selling it my ad would be factual and to the point, year, model, compression readings of all cyl. what it comes with and when it was run last.

I would not feel the need to convince you of anything, least of all share my work/bussiness history.

what OB mechanic would crank an OB that has been sitting without lubeing it up? if compression is well over 100psi why make the point that no oil was used?

I dont think he was justifying the points you pointed out, I think he was telling you why the seller was saying what he did. because you said he was giving way too much information.

Miroash

Banned

I dont think he was justifying the points you pointed out, I think he was telling you why the seller was saying what he did. because you said he was giving way too much information.

Correct, I thought you were asking why he was going on the way he did, I forgot to mention in the initial post that I had asked a few questions and that is why he answered the way he did. sorry for the confusion