Any auto body or paint guys out there? Need help

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
I am in the process of painting my boat, a closed bow run about. I am having trouble when I get to the bow. The primer is getting alot of bumps in it. The rest of the boat is cimong along fine. Do I need to change my setting when I have the gun horizontal? Could it be that the metal is to hot? I am out of ideas now, I was going to wet sand it smooth and give it a shot 1st thing in the morning.

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Any auto body or paint guys out there? Need help

Lion hunter Old painters trick :D tie a sock around the top of the cup if its an older style syphon feed gun then most likely it is dripping out of the hole on the top and your getting those drops on the bow :D. The other option is that if your using a gravity feed gun you are not holding the gun paralel to the surface and the paint is drying before it actually hits the surface which will produce a rough bumpy texture . Thats why I am using the roll & roll method on mine much less headaches including overspray :D.

Rick

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I tried the roll method, but with one arm I could'nt move fast enough to tip the bubbles out. The guns not dripping. I am leaning toward the paint drying before it hits the surface. Gonna wet sand it smooth and try it when its cooler.

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL you should try Kev's and now my method it doesnt involve any tipping just roll & roll :D.

Rick

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Are you following up with pure thinner after shooting to "kill" the overspray :confused:

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Boss, I'm in the process of learning by trail as far as painting goes. I just read that you should mix straight thinner in with remaining color and spray the area. Is this what your talking about and how soon should this be done after painting. Can it be done the next day?

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

siphon guns dont spay well horizontal that is why we use gravity fed alot easier
probably spitting out vent on cup or your pick up tube is sucking air. fillcup up and dont tip it as much adjust your spray pattern.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have been around automotive and industrial painting for along time and i have never done that. we use two stage paints base coat and clear coats. for primer we thin it and shoot it on thats it,sand it wipe it paint it.over aluminum you should be using etching primer on bare spots. Temp might also effect you try painting in cooler temps.

cheesegrits

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What type of primer is it ? Without that info no one can really give you a good answer. What is your substrate? Fiberglass or aluminum? How far away are you spraying?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Using rustoleum professional aluminum primer thined per instructions with water. Aluminum boat. All bare metal was painted with napa technique self etching primer. Trying to keep the gun about 6" away. I wish I had a gravity gun but I already had this one so I'll have to make due. I was also wondering about the seal on the canister. It is a plastic saucer that has a vent hole in one side. The instructions say to place the hole opposite the vent that is on the cap.
I may have had that facing down and drawing a vacuum. Anyhow I will try all of the above tommorow and see what happens. Once you try something like this it really makes you respect the pros, but it is fun learnining. Thats for all the help guys and I will post back with results.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Rick,
on your rolling method did you have trouble getting the bubbles out? I tried thinned and unthinned and I couldn't work thr air out before it dried and made a mess. Humidity is so low here it just sucks the moisture out quick. Thought about trying flotrol but decided instead to drag out the gun.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Nope no real problems getting it to flow although our humidity here lately has been anything but low :D . You can see my boat in its current state in my resto thread follow the link at the bottom of my post last page or second to last should have todays progress on the paintjob. I have a slight orangepeel but not bad at all considering I am just rolling it on . I roll it on a small area with a fairly heavy stroke then reroll the area with a very light stroke in the same area. You can watch Harbor freight for their gravity fed 20 OZ guns they go onsale for $9.00 all the time . I have half a dozen of them several still in boxes :D. They do a decent job for a cheap gun certinly not a Sata or Devilbis HVLP but pretty dang good for $10.00 and change with tax LOL.

Rick

Rick

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Hey Boss, I'm in the process of learning by trail as far as painting goes. I just read that you should mix straight thinner in with remaining color and spray the area. Is this what your talking about and how soon should this be done after painting. Can it be done the next day?

Thats what i'm talking about & it must be done fairly quickly - next day will do no good :(

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Well it must have been a load of overspray I was seeing. I wet sanded the entire boat today and all the primer adhered well. So I guess its time to shoot the color. Question on thinning the color. I bought a gallon and it says to thin with acetone. Should I only thin a quart at a time or will it hurt to thin the whole gallon. I imagine that I will only use 3/4 qt per coat. Also after final coat should I wet sand with 1500 grit or leave it alone. Again thanks for all the help, it's coming along.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Lion Hunter if you have a Harbor freight near you go get one of these .

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91009

Then go to Homie desperate and get some mixing cups ( their cheap plastic ) less than a buck :D. You only want to mix a quart at a time then spray it then mix the next quart. You can color sand the last coat if its orange peeled badly but then you will want to machine buff it out and that one can get skeery if you have never done it before . I wouldnt worry about it other than maybe the sides and top cap and even then you will have to be real carefull around the rivets :D.

Rick