A matter of pride - Serifos bay Greece '94 40HP needs extra top end insanity

DGartzos

Petty Officer 3rd Class
To all evenrude people,

I've '94 40HP evinrude on a Lomac (Italian) 13' boat, and have always been proud for and content with it's capabilities. Two years ago, Yannis, a so called friend, brought in the bay a same Lomac as mine with a '95 40HP yamaha. Coming into the bay after fishing, my "yam-jap-crap" (his nickname) friend, just about makes a Knot over me, and please understand how much it pisses me that slow but steady overtake. I keep on putting it on the different fish load we carry, but the excuse is weakening.

In that scrap yard there was this '85 50HP johnson and got the carbs off. Put the carbs on mine, decabr, spark plugs, link-sync, got a light gun and played with +/- 2 degrees, finally got rid off those reed leaf stoppers all together. Yes i 've got thrusts more power, opening throttle and boat speed are indirect correlation, got those 200 to 300 rpm on top (i had 5200 with a 11 3/4 -17 blade and now i have 5400 to 5500) and that is all. I was doing 32 Knots on the dial 29.5 GPS and now i do 33 Knots on dial and just above 30 GPS.

Desperate need of that extra top end power !!!
All pointed suggestions welcomed.

karlow1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: A matter of pride - Serifos bay Greece '94 40HP needs extra top end insan

Give hell!:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

proper engine boat set up is crucial when trying to achieve the best. the AV Plate height plays a big role in this. the adjustment of the distance above the keel should be 1" to 2" above the keel of the boat. also trim angle adjusted to the load balance in the boat.

KeeltoAVPlate001.jpg

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agree. Set up is huge for optimum performance.

DGartzos

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: A matter of pride - Serifos bay Greece '94 40HP needs extra top end insanity

Re: A matter of pride - Serifos bay Greece '94 40HP needs extra top end insanity

One for start !!! AV plate is in line with keel if not 1/4" below.

Relocating engine and will post results.

Also have been thinking of 19" blade due to the fact that engine has power and feels as it passes power peak although at 5400-5500rpm which rises another question about the tacho reading. It is an E40EERE and have set that FLEX tacho on selection 6. Has my engine a 5 or a 6 pulse generator ?

Trimming my engine is OK as i have modified manual tilt/trim to electrical and has been working OK for years. Will send photos if anyone interested.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

raise the motor one hole at a time, when you get to second hole, make sure you are still getting water pick up for the cooling system.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Hmmmmm. Greece? Mount a giant curved mirror on the back of your boat and focus it on your friend's boat and laugh when it bursts into flame! :eek::D

DGartzos

Petty Officer 3rd Class

not a bad idea since we have this knowledge here !!!

Will do right after i have an olympic fly over him on my evinrude !!!

DGartzos

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Raised the motor one hole today. I have got a extra Knot on GPS (just under 32 Knots) and 200rpm on the tacho (5600-5700). Cooling water flow OK. Blade looses grip on turning with more ease as before. Is it worth trying next hole up ? AV plate is 3/4" above keel line.

Also checked the tacho settings 5 and 6, one gives me 5700rpm and the other 6800rpm. It a FLEX tacho came together with motor. Any suggestions ?

DGartzos

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Am I going NUTS or WHAT !!!

Have i a 12 pole generator and set tach to 5p ???

I have been searching on past tacho threads and closest i found is the "1993 evinrude 40HP tachmeter" which mentions 6p on OMC tacho. If that is the case for my 1994 40HP then i am a way off power peak at WOT 6800 rpm.

In this case i may be looking something more than a 19" blade.

Anyone who knows please confirm or point where to search to confirm correct tach setting.

Will i fly over my yamjap friend or what.

derrTderr

Seaman Apprentice

Have you tried damning the torpedoes?