1970 Evinrude Lark- Wiring question

jrwunsche

Recruit
I have a 1970 Evinrude Lark 40 horse. It lost power, and checked if it was running on both cyl. It is only firing on the top cyl, so to check if the coil and other parts were the problem, I switched all the parts around and still only the top cyl has spark. So i figured its the wiring going to the coils. Does anyone know where the black wires from the bottom come from and is there a way I can by-pass the one that goes to the bottom cyl coil to make it fire as well????
thanx Rob

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1970 Evinrude Lark- Wiring question

The black wires that come from the bottom of the magneto run from the points to the engine kill circuit. They can be disconnected, but then you can't shut off the motor without choking it out.
Disconnect them both, tape them off (don't let them ground or touch each other), and see if the fixes the problem. If it doesn't, then the problem lies elsewhere.

jrwunsche

Recruit
Re: 1970 Evinrude Lark- Wiring question

Ok, I will try that. I did take off the black wire on the one coil and it didn't make a diff, and when i took the back wire from the other coil and hooked it up it did fire a spark. I will try taking both off and see if that works,
Thanx for the help.