Vintage Sea King 5

apache11

Cadet
I just bought a Sea King 5 model GG8960A serial 75X712318 which was used once when purchased and has sat in a garage since then. (I have the 12 foot fiberglass boat and trailer that it belonged to also.) First, what year is it? And two, I want to approach trying to start it with care so I don't damage it. Where should I start? Thank you in advance.

ohm116

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Vintage Sea King 5

Looks like a 57 Gale 5hp, reverse the first two numbers in the serial number. If you want to try and start it, first get a new impeller and replace the old, most likely shot one that is currently on there so as not to run the motor with no cooling. Also replace the oil in the lower unit at the same time, 90w hypoid gear oil. Another thing to check is the coils, pop the recoil off and the cover over the hole in the flywheel and check the coils, if they are at all cracked, order a new set of coils, points and condensers at the same time you order the impeller. Also check your plugs. If you do all this and clean out the carb you should have a very nice running motor afterwords.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Read the top secret file at the top of the Johnson/Evinrude forum, it'll put you on the path to a complete checkup and get it running agin.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A 57 Gale will share lots of parts with the Evinrude Johnsons of similar years.
Ignition parts,carb kits,gear case parts,impellers.Many venders on ebay have excellent interchange info.

apache11

Cadet

Thank you! This site is amazing. I have taken the lower unit off the powerhead and accessed the impeller and have a new impeller. Just not sure which way the rubber tabs were bent to fit in housing. Any ideas? Also, you were all correct about the coils cracking. I have new ones ready to be installed. Is there anything I need to know about installing them, like do they need adjustment? The manual doesn't say. Thank you, Matt

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thank you! This site is amazing. I have taken the lower unit off the powerhead and accessed the impeller and have a new impeller. Just not sure which way the rubber tabs were bent to fit in housing. Any ideas? Also, you were all correct about the coils cracking. I have new ones ready to be installed. Is there anything I need to know about installing them, like do they need adjustment? The manual doesn't say. Thank you, Matt

Yes, they need adjustment. Slide them in or out till the edges of the laminated cores are flush with the machined edges of the posts that they sit on.

You also need to use a torque wrench to tighten the flywheel nut to 40-45 ft/lbs.

Think of the impeller blades this way: The shaft turns clockwise, looking down from the top. The blades trail back.

Use a new 303355 gasket and 303347 o-ring on that seal assembly at the top of the drive shaft. If the seal leaks, it will destroy the powerhead.

Attachments

• 5.5 Carbon Seal.jpg
    5.5 Carbon Seal.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0

apache11

Cadet

I really appreciate the quick response and your wealth of knowledge! I have ordered those two parts and am having a hard time finding 303467, the gasket from exhaust tube to powerhead. Any ideas?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You could tap one out using gasket material and a tiny ballpien hammer or other small hammer like device.

apache11

Cadet

Thank you. The manual says 24:1 fuel mixture, so I have a 16oz container of XD-30 2 stroke outboard oil ready to mix. It is rationed out in ounces on the side of the container and I do not want to make a mistake with the mix. How many ounces do I add for one gallon of gas and may I just use regular 87 octane fuel? I checked Evinrude but did not find answer.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thank you. The manual says 24:1 fuel mixture, so I have a 16oz container of XD-30 2 stroke outboard oil ready to mix. It is rationed out in ounces on the side of the container and I do not want to make a mistake with the mix. How many ounces do I add for one gallon of gas and may I just use regular 87 octane fuel? I checked Evinrude but did not find answer.

At 24:1, 16 oz is enough for 3 gallons. Figure 6 oz per gallon for ease and safety of measurement. And yes, 87 regular unleaded. Ethanol in today's gas may attack the hoses and fuel pump, but hey at over 50 years old they need replacing anyway. The new parts will be ok.

apache11

Cadet

I have been meaning to write back since and tell you that it started on the fifth pull and purred like a kitten. Nothing like that two stroke smell. I can't thank you enough for guiding a rookie like me. I could not be happier! We have had it out fishing and can't wait to go more. I will have it for life! Is there anything else I should do for winter other than run Stabil into it and then pull the cord a few times to get water out of the impeller? I am keeping it in a heated barn... Thank you!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Store it upright in the barn, hang it on a sawhorse or 2X4 nailed across some wall studs, etc. Check the lower unit lube before you stow it...if there's water inside, it can freeze and crack the case. Probably won't be any, but you never know. Pull the spark plugs, spray some fogging oil or penetrating oil in the cylinders and reinstall the plugs and wires. Put it to bed and wrap an old blanket, etc. over/around it to guard it from falling stuff in the barn and cold temps if the heater fails. Of course, run the tank dry before storage or put some Stabil/Sea Foam in what's left in the tank.