Starter,bolts,flywheel

2004SSI180

Seaman Apprentice
ok a starter bolt broke off in the block. I drill it out no probelms use ext and got the broken piece out and didnt mess the treads up. Put to new bolts in all fixed started fine. yesterday out in the ocean diving for lobster (mini season). starter made the same grinding noise like when the bolt broke off. ok so i tighten the bolts and same nosie. but when i was tighting the bolts i notice the bolt was going in like it was bent so took back out and it was. Only one of them were. so i put them back in saw the starter was going back and forth when i was tightening the bolts so got it as straight as i could. tried starting it and it was cracking ok but still got the nosie so i losen it again and tighten again and noise was worst. So like it needed a shim. so i took the stater off and the ring gear did not look good. tried one last time and not good again. I wondering why the bolts are bending and does it need a shim. I probably have to change the ring gear now to.

Thanks,
mike

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter,bolts,flywheel

I think you need to pull the starter and rotate the engine by hand and look at ALL of the flywheel teeth to make sure there isn't a damged one on there.

Bondo

Staff member

I think you need to pull the

Ayuh,... I think you need to pull the Motor,....
Replace the Ring Gear, get the Proper New starter bolts, put it together,+ Bench Test it before reinstalling the motor...

Somethings Not Right,...
Looking at it on the shop Floor, rather than In the boat... is Much easier....

OldDriver

Cadet

Had the same problem with my 5.0LX/Alpha 1. Found a weak slave solenoid not giving full voltage. Did the same as far as breaking the bolt. Had to replace starter, slave solenoid and both bolts. I caught mine before the damage was bad. Once it started nothing but replacement worked.

2004SSI180

Seaman Apprentice

thanks Bond O thats what i'm going to do I have to replace the oil pan away so this is a perfect time. Do u know if they make an after market oil pan or i read on here that a chevy one will work if you find the right app. i just pulled the drive now the motor. I'll update you as soon as I get in out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If your dipstick goes down a tube to a fitting that threads into the oil pan, you may have to use the Volvo pan. That is what it would be for a V8. Not positive about your engine though.

Bondo

Staff member

Do u know if they make an after market oil pan or i read on here that a chevy one will work if you find the right app.

Ayuh,... Like Bruce says,..If you've got a Pan mounted Dipstick, it might be an Issue to deal with...

2004SSI180

Seaman Apprentice

the dip stick goes into the block not the side of oil pan. ok maybe just a aftermarket one like sierra brand something like that.

Bondo

Staff member

the dip stick goes into the block not the side of oil pan.

Ayuh,... As long as it's Block mounted,... The Sky's the Limit....
About Any aftermarket pan that Fits will work, Just Fine...

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

You can use an automotive small block GM pan, as well. Just make sure the dipstick is on the same side as on your engine. The pan has a curve around the dipstick fitting. Some years it's on the left and some on the right. Hy

2004SSI180

Seaman Apprentice

the pan has no curve the dip stick goes right into the block. WELL i pulled the motor and the ring gear is toast. so i'll get the parts on monday and put it all back together.