is this the proper location for depth transducer?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When up on plane it's reading over 800 feet. I know for a fact the water is only 130 feet.

Attachments

• t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0

rndn

Commander
Re: is this the proper location for depth transducer?

It's hard to see by the picture, but it looks like you have it mounted so it's parallel with the boat instead of with the water line.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hopefully this pic is better

Attachments

• img_5694.resized.jpg
    img_5694.resized.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0

skargo

Banned

What ducer is that?

I mounted a P58 on my transom 2 weeks ago. I mounted it perpendicular to the waterline, and the lowest, center part of the transducer head I put 1/8" below the hull. I used the wedges to get the trailing edge slightly lower than the leading edge. It is also about 2" starboard of the props swing.
Got lucky and it works great where I mounted it.

rndn

Commander

That picture is better or my old eyes can see better, either way it looks good as far as mounted plumb to the water. Now, how is it mounted as far as looking straight down or looking fore or aft of the boat position. I had a Baja that went over 60mph and had to make an additional shim to get it looking foreward enough in order to work at high speed. Even then it would stop working at 150 feet and over. It may not be facing foreward enough in order for it to send the signal and receive before the boat has passed it by.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

here is a side shot

Attachments

• img_5699.resized.jpg
    img_5699.resized.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I believe you have 3 problems.

1. It's not postioned vertically correct
2. It should be closer to parallel with the bottom of the hull. You'll get the forward facing part once the boat is riding up on plane.
3. Your bottom paint is worn out. The rough surface agitates the water passing over it which causes "noise" at the transducer. I sanded my bottom paint smooth for a couple of feet in front of the transducer

See page 3
http://airmartechnology.com/uploads/InstallGuide/17-247-03.pdf

raekmike

Seaman

lime,
Dingbat's on track.
I wouldn't worry about the bottom paint....but...when your on a plane you got a gap and turbulent water. that baby needs to be about 12 inches closer to the center line and it needs to be slightly lower than the botom of the hull. In your case that plate that mounts to the boat needs to be almost fully to the lowest point of your transom. Think of running your hand under your hull towards the back and when it passes your transom it should just barely catch on that transducer. This will keep it under water and you won't get any "white noise" meaning turbulent water with bubbles and such.

Good luck...

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

so what your saying is i need to move it closer to the outdrive?

raekmike

Seaman

Yes and lower also. If you can have someone else drive the boat wide open while you go back there and look down. you'll see better how turbulent the water is around it in it's current location.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I wouldn't move it closer too much closer to the outdrive. If it does produce some turbulence, it is best to have that out of the arc of the drive. It may happen that you could cause your prop to cavitate.

It does need to be lower however. You need to have someone drive the boat while you take a look at it to make sure the whole bottom surface is submerged while on plane. Also, make sure it is not mounted where a strake in the hull is directly in line with it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

so what your saying is i need to move it closer to the outdrive?

I wouldn't move it an inch. That's pretty much where I've mounted all my transducers.

TexasX

Seaman

I had a similar issue with a different depth finder. It was reading 60+ ft. when it was only about 4ft, you could see the bottom. I had to reset the depth finder itself, it took several tries but it finally adjusted to find the correct depth, hope this helps.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Many finders don't work at WOT due to air bubbles causing interference, just slow down and check your depth if need be. Does it work fine at 1/2-3/4 throttle? I'll bet it does.

Also you should have that transducer cord running thru the mounting bracket and as flush as possible with the transom, looks like it could get snagged on something and pull some slack out...possibly getting wrapped up in the prop?

skargo

Banned

My P58 works at WOT, but I did follow their directions for boats that go faster than 25 mph, I had to tilt the back down more IIRC.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Can't really tell from the pic it might be aluminum...for fiberglass boats you can mount the transducer inside the boat since the sonar penetrates the 'glass. Never heard how it works out from anyone who's tried it but both my finders allow for "in-hull" mounting only for fiberglass according to the manuals. Wouldn't have to worry about where to put it then, just throw it under the flooring and forget about it. I think they have to be wet to work though???

Just thought I'd throw that out there.:)