Swim ladder sux

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
My swim ladder sux! It's not an aftermarket platform, just the platform on the back. Stows away underneath. It's way too short to be useful. Anyone have any suggestions on how to change it?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Swim ladder sux

My swim ladder sux! It's not an aftermarket platform, just the platform on the back. Stows away underneath. It's way too short to be useful. Anyone have any suggestions on how to change it?

While I don't have a picture I can tell you what I did with mine. My platform is approx 16" wide and is mounted on the starboard side of one of my outboards. It came with a one step fold-up step that was useless. My wife and I are in our 60s so need steps that go rather deep. I had one of my neighbors who was a welder fabricate a replacement ladder that replaces the one step. This one is made out of 1/2" stainless tube and has three steps. It moumts to the same bracket that the single step did. For the steps themselves he welded three pieces next to each other. When rotated up is sits rather high but it is the best solution I have seen in almost 40 years of boating.

I did find a picture:

DSCF00061.jpg

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not a change, but I have one of these, and I actually really really like it. It tucks away very nicely along the gunwhale, and easy to throw in and take out.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...essories/PRD~0790028P/Plastic+Boat+Ladder.jsp

I took the legs off, and just wrapped white hockey tape around the rung that touches my boat. I also wrapped hockey tape around the part that hangs over the side - it comes with a plastic cover, just an extra precaution.

My boat has a "sort of" swim platform on either side of a shroud over my outdrive. You can see the hooks on the left side where they may have been a ladder at one point, or maybe it's designed for something after-market. (attached image)

Attachments

• swimplat.jpg
    swimplat.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 0

minnescene

Recruit

Most OEM swim ladders are pretty much worthless. I replaced mine the first trip out.