Whats Wrong with my Boat..!!!@@#

Dcuse32

Recruit
I have a 1985 Bayliner Capri with a 2.1 volvo penta engine, the model is a AQ125B.. soo my problem is when i take my boat out on the water and put it in drive it will only go about 5 miles an hour with the trottle half way down. if i try to go any faster the boat will stall..I thought it had something to do with the fuel system so i put on new hoses,new fuel pump,new spark plugs and rebuilt the carb...after some fine tunning it will start right up,idles fine and in in neutral will rev up high...My only problem is when i am in gear and the damn boat will not go any faster than five miles an hour then it will die out if i try to go any faster..if anyone has any ideas about this please let me know:mad:

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Whats Wrong with my Boat..!!!@@#

did you perform a complete tune-up?

check dwell and timing?

Dcuse32

Recruit

I did do a complete tun up and have no idea what dwell is..i only have had the boat for a year

dubs283

Vice Admiral

dwell is the number of degrees of distributor shaft rotation, the points set is open/closed

you must set the dwell first (with a dwell meter), then set timing

Dcuse32

Recruit

so you think that a timing issue would cause this problem? i didnt have this issue last summer when i took it out of the water

dubs283

Vice Admiral

yes, timing can affect the performance of your engine

since you are pretty sure the fuel system is okay, the next place to look is ignition or compression

you could do a compression test, just thought i'd ask about the igniton stuff as it is usually a good place to start

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

so you think that a timing issue would cause this problem? i didnt have this issue last summer when i took it out of the water

Yes it could be a timing issue.

-or-

Oil ok or milky? freeze damage?

have you checked compression? you might have blown out a cylinder or lost a valve? dead spark/cylinder? (rust over the winter on the plug, cylinder, valves, distributor?)

could be rusted weights in the distributor not allowing for enough advance.

I know you know this now, but anything runs well on muffs... i.e. without any need for power, it is when you add power that it really shows.

good luck!

Dcuse32

Recruit

well before i took it out for the season. i had a guy put a new gasket in the cooling system and a new sea water impeller..when he did this he said he checked the compression and said it was good..

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

well before i took it out for the season. i had a guy put a new gasket in the cooling system and a new sea water impeller..when he did this he said he checked the compression and said it was good..

when you say you are at 1/2 throttle, are you running a normal RPM for the 1/2 throttle?, or is it running low RPM compared to normal? Did it run well this year and just start happening?

On the cheap side...
bad gas/water in the gas - sputtering ,check fuel/water separator
carb stuck, dumping fuel (black smoke) - but you sound like you have isolated those two pieces.

bad ignition/timing would be the next logical check, timing advance pieces (rusty weights, springs etc), points, condenser, plugs...

if not in the ignition, then I think you might have to look back to compression.

if you had compression checked this year, likely not a blown/cracked block - good news.