Painting bilge/gas tank area

DMB Fan

Recruit
Hello iboats! This is my first post of many more to come. I spent the day cleaning out the bilge/gas tank area in my '84 Ranger with Simple Green in hopes to get the grease out I still have an oily feel to the fiber glass. When and if I get all the grease out, what type of primer and paint should I be using for this area? I have thin spider web cracks and a few holes that need to be filled(Marinetex?) before the paint, can this be done by hand also? If someone could give me a link on this job or a reply I would be most grateful. Thanks

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Painting bilge/gas tank area

Welcome Aboard..
For the grease in the bilge..You can use Dawn dishsoap (It gets the grease out!) or I have used hand shop cleaner, it worked well on my old fiberglass boat I had for awhile..

I have no fiberglass experience..So somebody waaay smarter than I will come along and help ya out!

jonesg

Admiral

I used interlux Bilgecoat, it draws moisture out of the surface its painted on so slightly damp is ok to paint. I didn't use primer. Makes a world of difference when you can actually see things in the bilge because its white.

To get it clean, soap is soap is soap, its just an emulsifier, pour it on straight and add a bit of water , use a big brush and work it then rinse off and repeat.
Some surfaces "feel" greasy when they aren't, you might be experiencing that.

If you use interlux don't wipe down with acetone, it doesn't like acetone.

DMB Fan

Recruit

Thanks Guys! When using Interlux Bilgecoat can you paint over it if there is no other color to choose from? I'm looking for a darker color other than white. Thanks again for the reponse.