Cracked Lower Gear Assy Housing

malcolm327

Cadet
I have a 1980 Mercury 115 outboard ( serial# 7148217, model# 1115620) with a cracked lower gear assy (lower leg) housing. Water got in and froze. Crack is located on the torpedo in a v shape and approx 7 inches long if it could be sealed or welded. I have been told by dealers not to weld as warping may occur and cause misalignment of shaft/bearings. New case is $1600 Can.

1. Has anyone had success with welding or sealing?
2. Any suggestions for obtaining a used case?
3. Will a case from another motor (ie 85 to 150 hp)work?

Thanks for any help
Malcolm

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cracked Lower Gear Assy Housing

JB weld
jbstik_lrg.jpg

industroweld_lrg.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Malcom, any inline 4 or 6 cylinder Merc lower unit from the 70 - late 80s will fit that motor. A used unit (~$500) will costless than a new case, and is easier to install. Alternatively, get a used case (should be near free) and transfer the guts over. Get a service manual, since you will need to shim gear clearances (not easy).

daveswaves

Ensign

Malcolm, as Chris said, there are a lot of gearcases that will fit. I noticed the reference to Canadian Dollars, where abouts are you, I may be able to help you out with a gearcase, shipping is expensive due to weight and length of driveshaft complicating matters.

malcolm327

Cadet

Thanks Dave. The boat is located in Sask. east of Saskatoon. Once we take leg off, I can give you length. Did the serial# already indicate gear ratio? My email is
malcolm2@telus.net for future contact.

daveswaves

Ensign

Thanks Dave. The boat is located in Sask. east of Saskatoon. Once we take leg off, I can give you length. Did the serial# already indicate gear ratio? My email is
malcolm2@telus.net for future contact.

The gear ratio is 2:1 and you will likely have the long shaft version. I have a lower end that came in on an engine that the block siezed due to incorrect oil mix (read no oil). I have not pulled the lower end off the unit yet but can easily do so. I will email you directly once I have pulled it off and inspected.

daveswaves

Ensign

The gear ratio is 2:1 and you will likely have the long shaft version. I have a lower end that came in on an engine that the block siezed due to incorrect oil mix (read no oil). I have not pulled the lower end off the unit yet but can easily do so. I will email you directly once I have pulled it off and inspected.

Check your email.:)