Docking Twin Engine Boat

I am a brand new boat owner and decided to jump in head first with getting a 34-foot twin i/o engine boat. As a rookie, I am doing a lot of research into learning how to dock the boat. I am sure this question has been beat to death, but I was looking for some more insight. Every place I look at recommends just using throttles to bring the boat in and not touching the wheel. With a boat that has an i/o where the outboards rotate while turning the wheel and not a rudder, wouldn't it be easier to use the wheel the majority of the time to maneuver the boat and just use the throttles to assist in rotating the boat "on a dime" when necessary?
Thanks for the thoughts.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Docking Twin Engine Boat

Im really not sure im a new boat owner myself but I found that youtube is very helpful with alot of good videos for newbie and how things work / operate found it alot easier seeing it then having someone try and explain it.

Jonathan3206

Seaman

Me as a new boat owner but been on boats all my life.

I personally get to the dock with just a touch of gas to keep her moving and use the wheel. Once I get close I kill the gas and use wheel only. Then if needed I will give gas (forward or reverse).

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually, my first thought is did you take a boating safety course. If not, I suggest you do so.

Go to USPS.org for a course near you.

It is invaluable for what you need to know about boating.

bustermin

Banned

Every place I look at recommends just using throttles to bring the boat in and not touching the wheel.

This is exactly how I do it. You use the engine to work against each other (one fwd other reverse) to control the vessel, I have a narrow canal I have to navigate and I swing the vessel completely around in the canal with this method. It?s even easier if you have a bow thruster installed, it would defiantly be worth the investment to install a bow thruster, if you have little or no experience maneuvering bigger vessels. You may not want to watch the installation of the bow thruster on your boat though, something about watching somebody drill a giant hole in both sides of the bow of your boat just doesn?t feel right :eek:, but it?s worth it. :)

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have twin I/O's (fixed prop with rudders) or stern drives (like a Mercuriser/Volvo on the rear of your boat)? They will handle differently. I have twin stern drives and really only use the throttle control on occasion to spin the boat. The majority of the time, I have enough directional control with the stern drives to operate the same as if I had a single. There are a bunch of videos that will help you, make sure and get one that covers the correct drive. Here is the I Boat link to their's: http://www.iboats.com/Powerboat_Handling/dm/*******.936903926--**********.526911477--view_id.357482

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I found with our twin if you look at the controls and make a arc for each, by saying this I mean, the port engine control will move your boat in a right arc and the starboard a left arc (when your in the water use one control at a time you will see what I mean).
rob

45Auto

Commander

With twin engines (I/O or direct drive, doesn't matter), you have much better control of the boat and it will turn much sharper if you use the throttles instead the wheel. If you have plenty of room and there's no wind or current the wheel works ok. But if you're trying to manuever in a tight space (puttng it in a slip, etc), or there is a significant wind or current, you will need to be skillful with the throttles to dock that big boat without beating it up badly. You'll find that wind has a SIGNIFICANT effect on a boat that size.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

I found that putting one engine in reverse and one in forward on my 28' cabin cruiser tends to rotate the boat very slowly and in more of an arch that a turn. I found it easier just to use the wheel. My boat also turns tighter by using the wheel instead of the normal twin engine routine because I have stringer drive. When I put one engine in forward and one in reverse the pivot point tends to be about 4 feet in front of the stern. When I use the wheel the pivot point is right in the center of the boat.

I found that just using one engine or the other when approaching a dock or trailer will help scoot the aft of the boat left or right without turn the boat. If I am straight I'll use both engines to push forward or back, if the stern is a bit too far port than I use the port engine to push forward or the starboard engine for back, if the aft is too far starboard I'll use the starboard engine for forward and the port engine for backing. This works like a poor mas stern thruster. ;)

Don't forget to only approach the dock at a speed your comfortable hitting it at.