Johnson OceanPro 150 1997 idle problem

edward72

Recruit
Have been reading some post and there are some great responds here so i know i come to the right place. I have a johnson 150 oceanpro that runs fine at high RPM's, but after trolling awhile it seem to reve up and down. I kill the motor and pump the throttle a few times restart it and it idles fine for a few, then back to the same thing. I can plain it and it runs fine. Any help woul be great. by the way it usally takes about an 1hr of trolling to start the process of reving up and down. thanks again!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Johnson OceanPro 150 1997 idle problem

" I kill the motor and pump the throttle a few times "

you mean pump the bulb?

It could be a few things, an air leak comes to mind.
Have you tried pumping the bulb as it's doing it's surging thing?
Will it do the same thing on a hose?
It would be easier to find an air leak on the hose than hanging off the transom in the water.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

decarb or carb rebuild lately? follow the link below on decarb might help

idles fine for a few? a minute? few seconds?.... if its a few seconds your carb bowls are getting empty, after their empty it might be starving for fuel... clogged up carbs would do that.... if you havent had a carb rebuild in awhile might be the time.... but firt i would try the decarb... good luck

edward72

Recruit

When I tried to pump the bulb up while its running it seems to make it worse. I can kill the motor pump the bulb or the throttle and it clears up for a few mins then back to the process again.Never tried it with the ear muffs. It takes about an hr of trolling to start the reving up and down, kinda like its missing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

It sounds like your carbs are a bit dirty or out of synch. Actually, getting an our of trolling out of that motor is pretty good. If you do troll for long hours, you might get a kicker. it will save lots of gas.

jonesg

Admiral

Plugs should be gapped wider for extended trolling. They're probably fouled now.

Carbs need rebuilding if pumping the bulb affects idle, float needles are not closing properly I'd venture.

You need to take better care of this engine if its to last, this is very poor maintainance, get a shop manual and learn the engine, it will last a long time if you get it fixed up and don't abuse it.
www.outboardbooks.com

edward72

Recruit

Plugs should be gapped wider for extended trolling. They're probably fouled now.

Carbs need rebuilding if pumping the bulb affects idle, float needles are not closing properly I'd venture.

You need to take better care of this engine if its to last, this is very poor maintainance, get a shop manual and learn the engine, it will last a long time if you get it fixed up and don't abuse it.
www.outboardbooks.com

1st i do preform annual mantenance on it.
2nd there are new plugs already in.
3rd i do have a manual on this motor. but it does not tell me how to fix these types of problems. That is why i guess this fourm is here.
4th i take better care of this motor then i do my own kids(JK)
5th i am not a boat mechanic that is why i am here.
but thanks for the help. I do appreciate it alot. i cannot afford to take it to a mechanic. thanks again!

jonesg

Admiral

ok sounds great.
good luck