90 Johnson very smoky

steriosm88

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 93 Johnson 90 that has the VRO missing so I carefully mix my gas and oil 50:1. After it warms up and I zip out to my fishing area I shut it off for several hours and just use my kicker. When I fire up the Johnson it smokes real bad. Is there something I can check in the carbs to fix this? Could it be something other than the carbs like a gooey gas tank? Thanks

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 90 Johnson very smoky

I have a 93 Johnson 90 that has the VRO missing so I carefully mix my gas and oil 50:1. After it warms up and I zip out to my fishing area I shut it off for several hours and just use my kicker. When I fire up the Johnson it smokes real bad. Is there something I can check in the carbs to fix this? Could it be something other than the carbs like a gooey gas tank? Thanks

does it smoke only when you fire it up or the whole time?

if it smokes only when you fire it up its normal... motor is not up to temperature and theres some left gas/oil in the cylinders...

if it always smokes well..... you need to do a tune up.... follow the linkk below on how to decarb your carburators... if you have recirc check valves replace them, they might be clogged up... carbs linc and sinked, correctly? what kind of oil are you using? synthetic and synth blend smoke less than regular.... do you have the corect spark plugs, correct range? is timing right? gooey gas tank posible.. always use fresh gas, no older that 1-2 months....

good luck

steriosm88

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info. It smokes upon initial start up and after it's sat for awhile. Plugs were replaced at beginning of season. No idea if carbs have been cleaned as i got the boat last July 2008. Plan on removing carbs and impellor this fall to make sure all is clean and new. I use Canadian tire marine oil and Penzoil marine oil TCW-3. I'm planning on removing the gas tank as well now to get it all cleaned out. I'd like to get the VRO hooked up again to make it easier to use the boat. Thanks

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info. It smokes upon initial start up and after it's sat for awhile. Plugs were replaced at beginning of season. No idea if carbs have been cleaned as i got the boat last July 2008. Plan on removing carbs and impellor this fall to make sure all is clean and new. I use Canadian tire marine oil and Penzoil marine oil TCW-3. I'm planning on removing the gas tank as well now to get it all cleaned out. I'd like to get the VRO hooked up again to make it easier to use the boat. Thanks

mine does also smoke initially.... i just had the carbs rebuild, new plugs, recirc valves, and just started using WD50 oil to see if anything changes...

if the boat sits for awhile what happends is the carbs drain in the heads thats why theres some unburned fuel/oil...

also timing makes a big diffrence at idle