Suzuki df 200 fixed...not!

Fogcutter

Seaman Apprentice
Just got my boat back after having major engine problems caused by water contamination in the fuel.
the high and low pressure fuel pumps and high and low pressure filters were replaced along with the fuel pressure regulator and the injector rails were cleaned.
About 3 miles after launch the engine bogged and would not go above 3000 rpms. By shutting down the engine and restarting, everything would return to normal and I could get it above 5500 rpms again. For the rest of the day, every 10-25 minutes, the engine would bog again, so I would shut it down and restart and it would run fine until the next time.

So what could this be now????The fuel is new, and there was no water or contaminants in the racor bowl. Also, the engine never stalled once, nor did it sputter. No warning lights/alarms either.

The tech sais that he thinks that there is a fuel restriction somewhere...
What do you guys think???
the primer ball stayed hard all day

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Suzuki df 200 fixed...not!

Fuel pressure test, computer check with labtop.

Fogcutter

Seaman Apprentice

thank you for your reply clanton. Do you know what part of the fuel system could cause my motor to bog and then be fine after a shut down and a restart??? it just doesn't make sense to me!

clanton

Rear Admiral

Fuel pump and regulator. Anytime these engines get crazy without setting a code. I want to know what the fuel pressure is at full throttle while in the water. I would also check the shift switch. You can check every sensor on the engine with a laptop, while running the boat in the water. I could beleave fuel restriction. This would show up on full throttle fuel pressure test.

Fogcutter

Seaman Apprentice

fuel pump and regulator huh??? that sucks! Supposedly the techs just replaced both pumps and the regulator. those parts alone totalled almost $1000.00. It is possible that one of the parts is defective, but now I wonder if they changed those parts at all???
I am switching to a new authorized warranty center next time, but for now I figure that it is only right that my current suzuki center fixes whatever it is that got messed up the last time that they "fixed it"

clanton

Rear Admiral

Are you close to Newport News VA? I could be wrong about the pump.

Fogcutter

Seaman Apprentice

No, I'm on Cape Cod. I've got 5 authorized suzuki centers to pick from and this used to be the best...but something has changed with their quallity of work over the last couple of years...startin to think that this company I use is experiencing growing pains (too much work and not enough techs) Wish I could find a small time guy who actually has the time to do the job right the first time...
The tuna and bass fishing is incredible this year...what a tease eh?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Even the best make mistake sometimes.

Fogcutter

Seaman Apprentice

Update! The head tech thought he found the problem in the VST. So after he cleaned it he water tested the boat. Unfortuanately the problem is still there and the motor bogs after 10-20 minutes.
I can understand a mistake. I am more unhappy with their customer service right now. sounds like they are too busy to put someone on my engine for more than an hour or two at a time.
the way I see it, they should have someone on it until it is fixed. And I say this because I just paid them $2000.00.
I realize that every customer wants their boats fixed "yesterday" but I feel that mine should be priority, seeing that I have paid so much already for the darn repair....oh well...only time will tell right???

clanton

Rear Admiral

I agree, I have to ask., did he watertest with fuel pressure guage?

Fogcutter

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Clanton,
thanks for getting back to me. I am going to ask if he pressure tested with a fuel gauge. He is the master tech, so often I end up talking to the secretary or service manager (because he is not available..busy).
I'm sure that they don't want a "know nothin" like me asking them something that they must already know, but just to be sure, I will check on that.
do you have any idea what else it could be if it isn't a fuel problem. Electrical maybe??
The engine never ever bogged like this before all the fuel pumps and filters and regulator were replaced. I only noticed a problem at idle (before the initial repair), the engine initially ran rough at idle, and when we pulled the cowling it was running on three cylinders. At speed however, it never bogged, and that was throughout a 25 mile ride to get home in rough seas at 4500 rpms. The bogging started after the repair...
Sorry to ramble, but I know that details can help...

Fogcutter

Seaman Apprentice

Update!!!!!!!!!
Just got my boat back. the techs spent five hours trouble shooting bofore they finally found the problem. After taking apart and cleaning the whole fuel system, again, they found a small filter (before the VST) that was loaded with crap.
FIlter was replaced, boat tested, and everything was fine...according to them. Whats great is that I was not charged for the labor! Apparantly it was their fault for forgettting to replace that little filter.
Thank you Clanton for troubleshooting with me...

Testing it out on a tuna trip tomorrow...wish me luck!

clanton

Rear Admiral

I forgot one thing, has the computer been updated? There were some recalls on the V6 computers,