tap tap noises Mmmmm? Evinrude 60vro

geddron1976

Cadet
Hi guys..

After reading a lot of really interesting posts in the past on these forums, i finally and sadly am needing to start a new thread of my own :(

I bought a used 17' dory with a wonderful 1986 3 cyclinder evinrude 60 vro ptt.
Heard it running and she sounded purrrfect.

I recently used the boat and while flushing the motor with fresh water in a tank i noticed the following..
i seem to have developed a tapping noise.. it is present when idling but remains when throttling up, the only thing is that it doesn't seem to get much faster if any when i throttle it up?

It can only be heard while the hood is off but it sounds similar to tappets on a car motor?
I have a feeling it could be small end bearings, however, i know near nothing about these motors. should they make any tapping noises at all?

I would have thought that if (as someone has suggested) it could be the big or small end bearings, surely it wouls increase in speed of tapping as the engine speed increases?

I believe the VRO is working ok, it is using oil and the engine does smoke a little when starting and when moving from idle to powering up. I assume the smoke is the 2 stroke oil as it smells like it and has a blue-ish colour..

can anyone tell me how much oil it should use after running a full 33 ltr (6 Gallon) tank through the engine?

Should i be worried about the tapping and if anyone has any ideas what could be causing it i'd be greatful for your advice.. I am crossing my fingers that a rod is not about to come through the block!

yours hopefully

a very worried boater!

petryshyn

Commander
Re: tap tap noises Mmmmm? Evinrude 60vro

Doesn't sound like engine if it doesn't vary with engine speed.
Stick you ear on the VRO pump?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Oiling should be at a 50:1 rate (about a pint per 6 gallons).

geddron1976

Cadet

I have searched for an OEM manual but as of yet, i can't seem to source one.
It may be easier in the US but in england there doesn't seem to be a supplier of the manual for my model. Plenty for the 91 onwards but nothing for the 86 model.

Do you know where i can get hold of this manual?

I am considering reconditioning the engine totally if i can get the manual and the spares.
Have a feeling it may be more cost effective rather than waiting for the next thing to go wrong?

I have listened to the VRO and it is pumping, also checked the alarm buzzer which works when earthed, so other than the sensor i don't feel there is a problem there.. I could of course be wrong? :confused:

The engine runs fine without any excess smoke. the only time i have noticed any excess smoke is when increasing engine speed after idling for a more than a minute or so.

I am going to run the engine up in the test tank again on saturday and try listening to the tapping with a stethoscope to see if i can find a clue as to the exact location.
if anyone has a website address that i can get a copy of the manual, i'd appreciate it..

thanks for your suggestions so far!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Shop manuals:
kencook.com
master tech
outboardbooks.com
www.marineengines.com
Ebay
Etc.

VRO does make tapping noises. I would run premix until you're sure VRO is OK.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I wonder if you have abolt loose somewhere and are getting a rapping noise from the two parts that should be bolted together...

could be anythign that is normally bolted..

make sure it isnt a spark jump either...that makes a noise and you might not see it in daylight

good luck

bob

geddron1976

Cadet

Managed to get hold of a compression tester at the weekend and found that the 2 bottom cylinders are down in compression by about 10psi compared with the top one.

I checked all three cylinders for slack in the pistons by moving each piston to just beyond top dead centre and holding the flywheel, then pressing down on each piston with a screwdriver.
Top cylinder had no movement, however the bottom 2 both moved by 1-2 mm and both had a pronounced clunk as they moved.

would this indicate a bearing problem?

I did notice that the bottom 2 pistons appear to be very shiny with not much fouling, as opposed to the top one being black.
I'm beginning to wonder if the 2 bottom pistons have been replaced but maybe not done properly? eg, wear in the conrod hasn't been noticed and the new bearings now loosening, or maybe the original bearings re-used?

I checked the whole engine for any loose parts/bolts. The only thing i found was the metal clip that hold the main wiring loom connector to the block had come adrift, but after putting this right and firing it up, the tapping is still there!

now more convinced than ever that a full rebuild event is on the horizon.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Managed to get hold of a compression tester at the weekend and found that the 2 bottom cylinders are down in compression by about 10psi compared with the top one.

I checked all three cylinders for slack in the pistons by moving each piston to just beyond top dead centre and holding the flywheel, then pressing down on each piston with a screwdriver.
Top cylinder had no movement, however the bottom 2 both moved by 1-2 mm and both had a pronounced clunk as they moved.

would this indicate a bearing problem?

I did notice that the bottom 2 pistons appear to be very shiny with not much fouling, as opposed to the top one being black.
I'm beginning to wonder if the 2 bottom pistons have been replaced but maybe not done properly? eg, wear in the conrod hasn't been noticed and the new bearings now loosening, or maybe the original bearings re-used?

I checked the whole engine for any loose parts/bolts. The only thing i found was the metal clip that hold the main wiring loom connector to the block had come adrift, but after putting this right and firing it up, the tapping is still there!

now more convinced than ever that a full rebuild event is on the horizon.

Movement you observed is likely wrist pin and/or con rod bearnings and is not normal. Requires PH teardown to fix.

Compression may be OK. Post actual values, but 10 to 15% variation from highest to lowest is generally OK.

Bottom two may be getting water intrusion ... if the piston tops and cylinder head look "steam cleaned", you have a water problem, which may have done in the bearings. You'll need to find where the water was getting in, unless is obviously the head gasket, or this will repeat itself.