99 Johnson 150 with little to no spark on left bank of engine.

kmcgillis

Cadet
I have been having some issues was thinking it might be a fuel pump, but when testing spark the left side has very little spark. The entire right side is shooting spark great.

I am guessing this probably has something to do with the shift interupter switch (if that is what that switch is). The guy at the dealer said try it with the switch disconected but that seems to make no difference or maybe even make it worse.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to try or look at with this issue.

Thanks.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 99 Johnson 150 with little to no spark on left bank of engine.

switch has 2 wires, did you unplug both wires? If yes powerpack voltage to
ignition coil test.

kmcgillis

Cadet

The switch on mine has 2 wires, one plugs into another wire in a round rubber connection and the other looks to be a ground wire. How would I go about doing a powerpack voltage to ignition coil test.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check the voltage to the ignition coil, at the coil, you have to remove a cover, on rear of engine. Do the test at idel if engine will run. AC meter 300 volt scale, red lead to primsry side of coil, black to ground. Times the results by 1.414. The voltage should be about 150 at idle all six coils. If engine will not idle test at cranking. All six cylinders should be same. One or more cylinders have low voltage, most likely pack is bad. While the pack is off look for coil arcing to the metal shield between the coil and shield. You will see the burnt spots on the coils. If arcing replace these also.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The SLOW system is supposed to kill spark to one back of cylinders as well. Test heat sensors on head with engine cold. If they short to ground, they are bad.

kmcgillis

Cadet

I only tested 2 of the coils because my meter broke, but I was getting like 160 volts once you multiply by 1.414 you get 226.24. Is this ok? Seems kinda high if it should be in the 150 range.

Also how do I test the heat sensors?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

To test the overtemp switch circuit (but not the switch), remove the tan lead and touch to ground with the ignition sw on. Horn should sound. The switch itself could be tested in hot water (check the shop manual for the temp) and looking for a circuit close with a meter at the right temp.

kmcgillis

Cadet

Ok so I went and boat a new some what expensive meter and I can't seem to show more than about 2 to 3 volts when cranking and for some reason like .002 when running. I tested the meter on a battery and it is reading correctly. I must be doing something wrong because it doesn't seem like the motor could even run at .002 volts. Any suggestions or should I just go trade it in on a new Ranger.

kmcgillis

Cadet

What I don't seem to understand is I can take this boat out and run it up to 65+ MPH but sometimes I can't keep it running and the minute I would put it into gear it would stall. Other times I can start it up and go with no problem at all. Thought it might be the fuel pump but found low spark when doing a spark test, so I guess does anyone have any idea what might be causing my issue because I am about at my witts end with this thing.

Thanks for all the help you guys have already given me.

jonesg

Admiral

Right about now a factory manual would have saved you some money.
www.outboardbooks.com

You need a peak reading meter, $62 ebay,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mari...Z230353556405QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

if you didn't buy one of those you can use a DVA adapter with your meter.
Its simple to make your own adapter. Only 3 ratshack components.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=291324&highlight=DVA
Or just buy the DVA adapter right here on iBoats.

Then you can do these tests.
http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcoisignition.html

At the end of all that, its probably gonna be the power pack unless the stator turns out to be bad but more often its the PP.

All this assuming you tested the temp switch circuit, if its grounding out it will put the engine into SLOW mode and knock out spark to one bank via the power pack. Its all in the manual.

clanton

Rear Admiral

What kind of meter, auto ranging meter gives flaking reading? You have to test the power pack, Set the meter on the ac scale at 200 and try it. Powerpacks act different with heat from motor, and heat from the pack itself.

You said the motor run same with shift switch disconnected.
The SLOW only limits rpms to 2500 rpms, temp switch not the problem.

Next step check the ignition system. If you are going to do this, you have to have a working meter. The battery volt scale is DC, not the same as AC scale.

You have to check all 6 cylinders.

Most likely problem is powerpack, but may have others.

kmcgillis

Cadet

So I did a Power Coil Output test and got a reading of 32 Volts, the book says it should be 50+. Resistance test came out at 58 ohms with a range and 45-65 so that is good.

Next did a charging coil output test and got 95 volts on one and 92 on the other, books says I should be at 150+ volts. Didn't get a chance to do a resistance test on the charging coil.

So I am guessing I need to replace the Stator? Could this be the root of all the problems since it pretty much controls the power for eveything.

jonesg

Admiral

It looks like its bad, look for melting insulation on the windings of the stator.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Book tonight. Stator tested with wires connected, disconnected? If you tested with pack connected, test with pack disconnected. Bad pack can sometimes drag the stator voltage down. How did you decide that 32 was ok, when manual said 50? I also thing 32 would work if everything else checked. I will try to be back with manual 0900 EST. I`m too old to remember all the different specs.

kmcgillis

Cadet

Sorry I meant the resistance was ok not the 32 volts, I did the test with the wire harness disconnected.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Thes specs from OEM factory manual for 1999 EE V6.
Fully charged battery

Power coil min of 35 volts.
Charge coil min of 250 volts
Powerpack cranking rpms 200 volts.
engine running 130 volts

If you have all the wires plugged back in, check the primary side of the ignition, with the engine at idle, all 6. Make sure you have a good connection.

I agree with jonesg, when it is fixed, will be pack maby stator also.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Swap the packs and see if the weak spark follows the pack, if it stays with the same side the it is the stator low output, if it changes sides then replace the pack.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Can`t swap the packs , only has one.

kmcgillis

Cadet

The spark seems to be very inconsistant, now the right side seems to have low spark as well, sometimes the sparks seems low sometimes it seems to not be there at all.