New here with a question

grasutukc

Cadet
First of all : Hi to everybody ! My name is Dan and last year I made a big mistake , i bought a boat on Craiglist and did not put it in water untill the spring when.... suprise my 85 Galaxy 266 Sport has a bad motor . So now I m in the market for a new boat and I found a 91 Profile 299 V for sale for $15 000 . Don t know a lot about boats so ....my question to you guys is ..is that boat worth it . I m going to put the add in here just to see what the owner is saying .And I m definetly going to try this one before I buy it .( the old one is going to be donated ) I ve looked it up on NADA and I could not fine a 91 Profile 299 V , but the guy said that that s what the title says .

This is his add
" Boat overall length is almost 32 ft. with swim platform.Nice stereo 2-12" subs 2-amps new pioneer head unit,drop out bolsters,new gauges,gaffrig controls,lower unit was also rebuilt same time as motor just to freshen it up too,all boating equipment comes with it,fire ext.,life jackets,ropes,etc..Thru hull exhaust,full cover and tandem axle trailer.Motivated seller.My loss is your gain.REDUCED!!!!!!!"

100_2183.jpg

t-100_2185.jpg

d-100_2181.jpg

d-100_2232.jpg

So should i look for something else , newer maybe .....or bite the bullet ? Thanks

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New here with a question

Have you talked to this person (not e-mail actual talk)? My 1st impression says scam. That is not a 15000 boat! I'll bet that the seller is in the service, has to leave soon, send them money and they will arange shipping. Oh yeah they may also be deaf and have to handle everything by e-mail. Not trying to offend but your buying a boat without checking it out shows a lack of experience. If that is true that type of boat is way to much for you.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

No offense, but it would be worth your time to find an honest yacht broker and let them make the search for you. Don't know how much money you dumped on the first dud, but try not to add insult to injury if you have no idea of what your doing and have plenty of money.
Or better yet, go smaller & buy brand new rig and at least you'll know it's under warranty for awhile.

Good Luck

jonesg

Admiral

Why not install a new engine in the one you already have, not sure how much it would be , maybe $5K

grasutukc

Cadet

I ve talked with the guy on the phone and i m supsosed to go tomorrow over there to try the boat .HE wanted 17900 but I told him that if I like it I ll give him 15 000 cash .Thats the amount that he still owes on it . To rebuild the motor for the first one is $3500 but I just hate that boat right now . It was just problems after problems.I would not be a happy guy knowing that I put $8000 in an 85 boat which still needs a lot of work . But in the same time I work hard for my money so I don t want to just throw them away .
I ve searched a lot in the last days and I found some other similar boats ,around the same price . Scarabs ( 1996,1997 ) between 13000 -20 000 .I went to a dealer too and he s going to get back at me when he has something .

I guess my question still stands ...if everything checks out ...and it s not a scam ( which I don t think it is ) ,and the boat is in decent condition , is that a fair price ???. And what should I look for ?We are going to put it in the water so ...?Thanks again .

Jimmy310

Seaman Apprentice

That sounds like a good price for that boat.
I think if you take the boat out and have your mechanic look at it with you then you should have no problem buying it.:cool:
Take it out, run it, make sure everything works on it, and have your mechanic look it over with you. 15K is allot of money to buy a piece of junk, but a good price on that boat if everything works properly.;)

Good luck.

grasutukc

Cadet

That sounds like a good price for that boat.
I think if you take the boat out and have your mechanic look at it with you then you should have no problem buying it.:cool:
Take it out, run it, make sure everything works on it, and have your mechanic look it over with you. 15K is allot of money to buy a piece of junk, but a good price on that boat if everything works properly.;)

Good luck.

Thank you , thats what I need it to know ....now the boat is 3 hours away from me , were should I have i checked ?My mechanic is 2 hours the other way ...The boat is in Palmyra ,Mo .

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Ok one more thing, if your going to put 15 grand in a used boat I would sure have a surveyor go over it with a fine tooth comb. Course I work very hard for my money too but obviously don't get quite the return you do. By the way get some references on the surveyor.

Good luck

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might have the check already made out, I don't know.

Proceed cautiously. Rotted stringers ? Rotted transom ? Leaking deck hardware = rotted deck core.

grasutukc

Cadet

Found the solution , I ve talked with a marina thats close to were the boat is now and for $300 they will check the boat .So if it s no good I ll lose just 300 plus a 3 hour trip( lots of gas fo my truck ) plus my pride :)) but I ll keep the rest .

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

There you go. Guaranteed results.

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I find it hard to believe from the pics you've posted here that this boat is being sold for 15,000. With that being said I would be extremely cautious about purschasing it.
I would have a licensed, insured, marine surveyor, and not just a mechanic from a nearby boatyard, thoroughly check out complete boat, then I would triple-check paperwork(title,etc) to be sure this boat is not stolen, salvaged, etc..
The money you spend now, can save you tons more, later. You don't want another Galaxie story. Just my opinion, Mike.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

On another forum a new owner of a used boat is dealing with the marina owner now. It seems after purchasing and having clear title in hand, the marina will not release the boat to the new owner because of storage fees.

This is something that may not get checked out by the people you have hired to check the condition of this boat.

as always,
Best of Luck

grasutukc

Cadet

Ok big dau today I drove 3 hours to see the boat . Boat looked really clean so we put in the water .We had some fun for 30 min and it ran really good . After that I ve talked with my father in law ( the expert in boats ) and he told me to take ot and have a compression check to it which I did and .....bad news ...75,75,40,75,90,100,50,75. Called my father in law and he told me to walk away cause that s going to mean problems ....so no boat , going back to looking.
But on a good note on the way back the car in front of me ....speeding on heavy rain spun out and went into a creek so my buddy had to jump in the water to take 2 women ,a 5 year old and a 4 month old out from the car and hand them to me .They were lucky that we were behind them .Nobody got hurt so we gave them a ride back to KC .

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Something doesn't add up here. With those compression #'s, I doubt the boat would run "very good". Either you didn't test drive it properly or the compression #'s are messed up. Maybe some real engine people will chime in on this.... I just stayed at a Holiday Inn....

What engine/drive is it?

45Auto

Commander

it ran really good

compression check to it which I did and .....bad news ...75,75,40,75,90,100,50,75

There is NO WAY that boat ran worth a d*** with compression numbers like that. They should all be around 150. I just bought an '87 Mercruiser 260 with 110 PSI on the 2 center cylinders on the right bank and 150 PSI on all the others. It's obvious that it's not running right, it's getting a new head gasket (and maybe valve job) this weekend. You really need to find someone to go look with you that knows something about boats and motors. Either it did not run decently or the compression test was done incorrectly.

grasutukc

Cadet

Do nt know ... in my opinion ( don t know to much about boats ) the motor ran good ....we went full throtle , no problems , we ve let her run just sittting in the water ..same thing .No overheating , no missfires ..... I saw some smoke coming out from the exausts , which I taught that it was a little bit to much but thats it( the boat was not run for a few weeks ) .

And the mechanic made the compression test . I was there watching him , and those are the numbers that were showing . The first gauge was not a very good one so he got a brand new screw one from Auto Zone and ...I felt bad too cause I really wanted that boat but ...Do you guys know how much will cost me a new 454 or to rebuild that one . Maybe I ll talk with the owner see if we wants to make a deal if we take in consideration the price of fixing that .