84 Evinrude 55hp problems

trevornewell

Cadet
we are having trouble adjusting the idle on my dad's boat. you have to rev the motor up high in order to get her to not die when you put the motor in gear. from what i have read i think the idle should be set in water and in gear. please correct me if that is wrong. this is one problem.

the next issue is that when the motor is running at idle with no load if you open the throttle a little say not even 1/4 the rpm are fine, but when you pass this point the motor revs like it has been given full throttle. i have the owners manual and still cant find any solution. please try to help if you can.

Last edited:

trevornewell

Cadet
Re: 84 Evinrude 55hp problems

bump. this is driving me crazy. i talked to a guy and said that it may be a bad O ring in the primer that is allowing air in so it throwing off the fuel/ air mixture. dont know if it's right, but i am going to change it anyway.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

second problem first, are you saying it revs like full throttle when in neutral? if so do not do that! it is very bad for the motor and it is never ever to be done,(and it is normal to rev like mad) now as far as idle goes, have you had the carbies done? if not, then do so, probably got a blocked idle jet, then make sure all the "link and sync" procedure is set as it should be as outlined in your genuine service manual that you have, dont you?

trevornewell

Cadet

sorry if i never explained it right but, when at idle, or what were saying is idle, the can get the motor to run reasonable good. as soon as we put the motor in gear the engine stalls. now. i think that the idle has to be adjust in water and in gear, but here is the problem. every time we give the motor more then 1/4 throttle she revs like full throttle. even trying to set the idle seams dangerous if the motor is acting in this fashion. i know that the motor should rev a little but no way is this amount of rev normal. the carbs have been cleaned and adjusted to factory by a well known carb guy my father knows. so we know there set right. as for the "link and sync" no this has not been done according to the manual, which i nave not received until today and i will try it later this evening.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

DO NOT allow high revs with no load (unless you want a big, ugly paperweight).

Motor does not idle well for a reason ... most likely as pointed out, carbs need to be rebuilt/cleaned. noelm gave good advice ... follow it.

trevornewell

Cadet

ok, no prob. no revs while not in gear. no prob. i have enough paper weights now. lol.

trevornewell

Cadet

the manual i have is Eninrude/Johnson outboard shop manual 48-235 hp 1973 -1989 .i guess this is what you are talking about. i hope cause i cant find any other.

trevornewell

Cadet

btw i forgot to mention that the engine wont start without having the primer pulled out about 1/4 of the way. dont know why, dont make any sence to me, but there it is.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Even when warm? If so, rebuild/clean carbs.