OMC to Mercruiser Drive

Craig737

Recruit
Hi,

I am rebuilding a Grady White 201 Marlin that had a Mercruiser 140 in it, which was locked up and full of water. I also have an OMC 3.8 Stringer with a bad outdrive. I would like to mate the OMC 3.8 engine to my Mercruiser outdrive.

I am fairly mechanically inclined and have done similar work previously, so the issues do not scare me off. The question I am wondering is if anyone has ever done this, and does anyone know of any kits or guidance available for this swap.

I know that the at the very least the engine mounts, the bell housing, the exhaust riser, and possibly the flywheel are all different and will have to be changed. Seeing as I already own the 3.8 I feel I can afford to put a little money into converting it - up to the point were it just becomes more cost effective to find a donor boat with a Mercruiser engine and drive.

Thank you very much very any assistance that you can provide.

Craig737

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: OMC to Mercruiser Drive

i am 99% sure that mercruiser did make a sterndrive setup with the 3.8 liter

however i am not sure if it will be a direct swap

also, i am not sure if parts are still available, being that mercriuser did not make that package for very long.

i read a thread not too long ago about somebody trying to do something similar to this with a 3.8 OMC, try doing a search for that thread and see what comes up

cr2k

Captain

It's doable. Also might need to change the coupler.

Biggest issue I would guess would be engine alignment and motor mounts.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

another issue could be the drive ratio, seeing as how the 140 is a 4 cyl. and the 3.8 is a 6 cyl.

not sure if you will have optimum performance with that setup.

in any case, you are brave to undertake this project, it is going to be a lot of work