another trouble installing alpha one drive tread

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer
ok, i had to pull the drive to pull motor, reinstalled motor, did alignment with the correct tool, it slides in and out like a dream, now i am trying to get the drive on and i can just barely get the drive up on the studs and then it just locks up, will not budge. now i did change the o-rings on drive shaft. i did have in foward when i pulled it and it hasnot moved. the female on the housing is straight, but the little 90 degree shift part on the drive will not stay straight, it will go staight but as soon as you pick up the drive it moves. i have been trying to get that to stay straight so i can rotate the splines but cannot get it to turn. someone please help before i loose my mind. is there a video somewhere on installing out drive?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: another trouble installing alpha one drive tread

hold the prop when installing, rotating it counter-clockwise, this will ensure the drive stays in fwd gear.

also, placing the skeg on a block of wood helps to raise it up to the proper height for installing

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

so turn the shift fork on the drive and then hold the prop to keep it there? what about getting the drive in? do i need to lube up the o-rings and give it a few taps with a block of wood and a hammer? or is there something stupid and little that i am missing?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

yep, make sure the shift arm on the drive is facing fore and aft, in line with the shift fork on the bell housing. hold the prop with force in a counter-clockwise direction, this will keep the drive in fwd gear. you will more than likely have to turn the prop counter-clockwise to align the splines on the drivesahft with the coupler splines once your close

30 wt oil/light grease on the o-rings will help getting them past the gimbal bearing

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

what do you think i am hitting and not letting it get in there, the oring or splines?? just curious

dubs283

Vice Admiral

how far from the studs is the drive?

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

the studs are getting into the drive maybe an 1/8 an inch, just enough to hold it there

dubs283

Vice Admiral

well, it sounds like its far enough on that the splines are engaged, probably just hanging up on the o-rings.

just be sure that the shift arm and fork are lined up and splines engaged (you will know if you can no longer turn the prop counter-clockwise)

drive should slide on with a little force

if not, and you are POSITIVE everything is lined up, give it the merckick

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

ok, will try in the morning, thanks for all the advice, hope it works. :confused:

cr2k

Captain

Yes put some grease on the o-rings too.

And yes the good old merkick helps sometimes.

Also good idea to smear some grease around the large rubber crush ring to keep it from getting pulled in or displaced by the u-joints.

gshldon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok i had the same issue with mine and it turned out to be that the drive had fallen out of forward gear and it was binding up on the upper shift shaft. So you need to make sure it is in forward and make sure you keep pressure on the prop ( i used a bungee cord for this) and with grease on the orings and then it slide all the way on with very little effort, and then with a little merckick it was all the way on.

Good Luck
Happy Boating

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

should go on to within 1/8 inch ,your shift slider roller is probably hanging up check that, turn prop to align splines ccw and hold. make a stand makes it so easy to put on. also grease up as in the picture.
nakedmile074.jpg

AlphagenII_ShiftLever.jpg

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys, getting ready to give her another try in just a few

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

ok got her all buttoned up. one thing i am wondering, i didnt notice before i took apart was in fwd it lock going ccw and spins but clicks going cw, free wheels in netural and locks going cw but spins and clicks ccw in reverse. is this correct? for some reason i was thinking it was supposed o be locked trying to spin either way in gear.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

yer fine, its supposed to ratchet one direction, lock in the other

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

ok cool, thanks for all the help couldnt have done it without the help