Where is exhaust shutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dara64

Cadet
1982 merc 470 sterndrive (pre-alpha drive), I have searched my manual cant find any reference to it at all. I have the riser off,when I looked down the hole there is a bar running across the hole nothing attached to it.

My exhaust has been comming out the side holes and not out my center prop.Anyone know exactly where it is located? I know some older ones the motor needs to be removed to replace. If it has fallen down in the exhaust how do you go about removing it? I dont see anything down the tube looking in from the top.

Any info would be great
Thanks

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Where is exhaust shutter?

Remove your outdrive. Bet ya find it stuck in the bell housing end of the exhaust.

dara64

Cadet

If it is stuck there what does this cause? I mean when the exhaust is partially blocked by something what type of symptoms.

Thanks
Dara

Bondo

Staff member

If it is stuck there what does this cause? I mean when the exhaust is partially blocked by something what type of symptoms.

Ayuh,...
Possibly, down on power, overheating,+ exhausting out the relief ports are a few..

dara64

Cadet

Yes I have the those problem's. I will be taking the drive off looks like tomorrow !! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.