Too Much Boat For 1st Timer?

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Too Much Boat For 1st Timer?

Rlb, you really do need to think about your usage of the boat. There are choices/tradeoffs for every need. For example, comfortable overnighting for a couple and a reasonably functional platform for freshwater fishing are conflicting requirements.

The fox chain is nice for a boat that size, but that is a very crowded chain of lakes on the weekends and you need to decide if that is what you like. They do have great fun at the sandbar "rafting" parties (sometimes 100+ boats tied together).

If you want an easily trailerable boat that is good for water sports and decent for freshwater fishing, you can have a great time with a 18-20ft bow rider.

Unfortunately, there is a big jump in size if you want something with a bit more than a cuddy to sleep in (with say a convertable bed/dining, a small galley and a head).

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I tow a 268 searay weekender which when on trailer is about 35 feet long.tow vechile is a 1997 3/4 chevy sub. Boat and trailer weigh in around 9200lbs. I tow the boat to the local lake 10 min away we also tow the boat to maryland (chesapeake bay area) Don't have a problem esp since i moved the rollers out so the boat sits lower onto the trailer. It can be done just takes practice and getting use to towing almost 10000 lbs.The only real problem that i have is when tractor trailers pass me the boat starts to sway sometimes. Not bad but u can feel it

rlb2252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rlb, you really do need to think about your usage of the boat. There are choices/tradeoffs for every need. For example, comfortable overnighting for a couple and a reasonably functional platform for freshwater fishing are conflicting requirements.

The fox chain is nice for a boat that size, but that is a very crowded chain of lakes on the weekends and you need to decide if that is what you like. They do have great fun at the sandbar "rafting" parties (sometimes 100+ boats tied together).

If you want an easily trailerable boat that is good for water sports and decent for freshwater fishing, you can have a great time with a 18-20ft bow rider.

Unfortunately, there is a big jump in size if you want something with a bit more than a cuddy to sleep in (with say a convertable bed/dining, a small galley and a head).

You seem to know the area well, Fish. Must have had some Illinois in you at one time. Any places you'd recommend that aren't too far from the Rockford/State Line area. Maybe something with space for the vessels I'm considering but not overwhelmed by the weekend warriors.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you're not set on a cuddy or cruiser, you might want to consider a 20' to 22' deckboat.

The have a lot more deck room compared to most other boats of the same size.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

way too much boat to start off with; too much boat for only 12 miles of water. And if you have to trailer each time you want to use it, that chore might outweigh the pleasure for the trip.

iamthunderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought a 23' Sea Ray Bowrider that weighs 3800 lbs dry, with a 1200 lbs trailer and I have never owned a boat before. Let me tell you that on the water it is a dream, but hauling it is a nightmare. I picked the boat up in Dallas and had to haul it back to Little Rock Arkansas... What normally takes 4.5 hour took 9. By the time I got home I was in a full blown panic attack and could not talk to anyone that evening. It was that stressful! I am sure that boat weighs around 7500 lbs, and that my friend will be a serious chore to haul. There are so many things to think about when you are pulling a boat that size, it puts a lot of stress on the body LOL.

Jeep Man

Commander

Why a diesel as opposed to gas engine?

Way better for towing heavy loads. Far better torque. Gas engines pulling heavy loads rarely see higher mileage. Check the average life of an RV motor. Why do you think transport trucks and buses are primarily diesel? Average life of a diesel engine in a pick-up is in excess of 300k miles.