Recomendations for setting up rear of boat for trolling.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 28' cabin cruiser I am getting ready for deep sea fishing later this year. The rear deck is very open and I'm trying to figure out what the best layout would be for. My main use for this boat will be trolling with four lines. Two out the back and two on the outriggers. I have about 8' x 8' of empty space to work with. That 8x8 square has three large deck plates so mounting anything into the floor would be difficult. The gunwale is about knee high and has about a 1 foot high rail running all around it so I cannot put any surface mount rod holders into the gunwale.

Since I cannot remove the rails without making risking safety and I cannot use the rails to mount a decent rod holder my thought was to mount two rod holders on each side of the boat into a pedestal attached to the deck. As far as seating is concerned, we've had great successes with folding chairs in up to 3' chop. I thought about putting some sort of clamp into the deck to keep the chairs from sliding when someone's using it as a fighting chair.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Recomendations for setting up rear of boat for trolling.

Just go down to the local marina for ideas. You have to set up your boat for the way that works for you. Check out the different ways the outriggers are mounted while you are at it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

What do you consider deep sea? Deep dropping is a different setup than hunting pelagics.

I have nothing on the transom at all. I want the entire back of the boat open to maneuver when hooked up.
I have five rods are up overhead in the rocket launchers and have room for four rods on the fore-gunnels.

We fish mainly stand-up but I bolted a gimbal on the front of the mates chair just incase. The mates chair rotates 180 degrees so it works out well if needed.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I have a 28' cabin cruiser I am getting ready for deep sea fishing later this year. The rear deck is very open and I'm trying to figure out what the best layout would be for. My main use for this boat will be trolling with four lines. Two out the back and two on the outriggers. I have about 8' x 8' of empty space to work with. That 8x8 square has three large deck plates so mounting anything into the floor would be difficult. The gunwale is about knee high and has about a 1 foot high rail running all around it so I cannot put any surface mount rod holders into the gunwale.
Since I cannot remove the rails without making risking safety and I cannot use the rails to mount a decent rod holder my thought was to mount two rod holders on each side of the boat into a pedestal attached to the deck. As far as seating is concerned, we've had great successes with folding chairs in up to 3' chop. I thought about putting some sort of clamp into the deck to keep the chairs from sliding when someone's using it as a fighting chair.

Back in San Diego, the boat we charted during tuna season had a wood railing that was prob 2 inches wide all around mid ships wrapping the stern.

We used brass lanyard clips on some heavy line that we clove hitched to the rail, with the clips on the rings on the trolling reel.
You put the rod under the rail, it will float between the rail and the transom.
It also lets the rod lay nice and flat and keeps the lures trailing nicely...

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

A simple 4 or 5 tube rocket launcher (if you can mount it will solve the problem), but you might consider pompanette rubber tipped fighting chairs with a lanyard to secure the chair to the deck. We fished charter with one on each side of main fighting chair and it was a great set up for novice anglers who had trouble fighting fish standing up. Since you are talking outriggers I assume your mainly going to be trolling but remember if you leave any rod unattended and a smoker king or even a large bonito or tuna hits your bait you might see your rod & reel going over the side and heading down if the rod isn't secure in a gunnel or tower or rocket lancher rod holder.

Good luck

FishyFish

Chief Petty Officer

Something like this looks interesting for your application. I don't see a problem attaching to rails and they look sturdy.

Rod holder.gif

Fish

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Fishy Fish I thought I had seen those on boats before, good idea for rs2K but I don't think I would set the drags very heavy if all he has it 3/4" rail tubing.
That idea should help.

FishyFish

Chief Petty Officer

I figured it would, at most, generate some brainstorming and help resolve rs2k's question. Yep, a loose drag (enough to hold to) and a spool full of line.

Fish

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Right on the fishing at least now both of his posts are together. But I haven't seen a bit of response.

Good fishing ya'll

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Right on the fishing at least now both of his posts are together. But I haven't seen a bit of response.

Good fishing ya'll

maybe he got pulled over along with his Int'L 80:eek:

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sorry I have not replied, I have been reading everyone's reply, but I just haven't thought of a smart enough response yet. :redface:

I still haven't quite figured out what to do. I now only have about 3 months to get ready for my move to Florida.

I intend to troll with two 30 class reels and two 50 class reels. One on a down planer off the back, one with a eight off the back, two on outriggers at the surface. The rails are strong enough for the job, but I need four strong enough rod holders. I was thinking of getting a large L shaped piece of steel and riveting it to the side and hose clamping the other end to the rail. I could then place a surface mount pole holder in the top. (See image)

Here's a bad picture of the back of my boat, I will take a better one when the sun is up:

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1
  • rod.jpg
    rod.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

Oh okay, I used one of those when I went swordfishing last year.... Didn't even get a bite. :mad:

I only plan on using 30 and 50 sized reels for now. In the future I would like to get an 80 for some daytime swordfishing. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how I'm going to get a sword fish over the rail without getting stabbed quite yet.... I'll worry about that later. :D:D:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I still say (even more so now) that your rails can hold a 3/0-5/0 reel usung the straps I mentioned..

Its not like you are throwing an anchor off the stern attached to em...

The drag of the reel wont be hammered down either..sooo I myself would use the straps..

p.s. my first boat out here was a 72 imp inca