finally starting restoration, '64 Glasspar Marathon

After two years, I'm finally ready to start working on my boat. I have no idea what I'm doing or how long it will take. but I'm ready.

Attachments

• HPIM0019.JPG
    HPIM0019.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0023.JPG
    HPIM0023.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0027.JPG
    HPIM0027.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0039.JPG
    HPIM0039.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0051.JPG
    HPIM0051.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 0

tallcanadian

Captain
Re: finally starting restoration, '64 Glasspar Marathon

Don't be afraid to ask for help. I wouldn't have done mine either without the help of this fine site. Good looking boat, by the way.

For as long as it sat rotting-about 30-40 years- I thought it was in pretty good shape, also. So far, the hardest work looks like the deck. It's rotted all the way back to the transom. and then I have to build and upholster two seats. The ones I have in my Baretta, look a lot like the rotten ones I took out of the Glasspar. Are they somewhat interchangable? The only real difference is that on the Glasspar, the two places where the seats were bolted to. Whereas in the Baretta, the seats sat flat on the deck.

Another thing, too. Is there any reason I should separate the two halves of the boat to work on it? I believe that the small shelf in front of the motor is removable. Or should I just try to replace the decking as it sits?

tallcanadian

Captain

If you look at my links you will see that I removed the upper half. The main reason for this was to make it easier to replace the transom. It also gave me easier access to the whole boat. If your floor and stringers are rotted, more than likely your transom is too. As far as the seats go, when you replace your floor, or deck, you can use whatever mount that the seat uses. Hope this helps.