hot foot

crawfordml05

Cadet
recently, i went and purchased a used a 1993 278 stratos with a 1990 johnon v-6 150 hp. my question is that it came with a hotfoot, but not hooked up. i think that i would like to have it hooked up becuase the way that i have been taught is to have one hand on the steering wheel and one on the throttle at all times. But honestly i feel alot better about have both hands on the steering wheel. any suggestions on using hot foots. PROS CONS would be appreciated. And also where would i look to find out how to hook it up. thanks

jkcyranoski

Cadet
Re: hot foot

Growing up, every boat my dad ever owned had a Hot Foot. He is an outboard guy through and through. The first boat I ever drove was a Skater 18 with a 200 Merc.

Recently I puchased my own boat which does not have a Hot Foot, and I miss it. I am sure this is partly because it is what I am used to, but I miss it nonetheless.

One thing I really like about it is the ability to have both hands on the wheel and adjust speed simultaneously. Where we boat can get rough at times, as most places can, and I am still a bit weary of letting go of the wheel to adjust my speed. It is also worth mentioning that my boat is on the smaller side of average for where we boat, so the wake I am navigating does push me around on the busy days. I guess in most situations I feel more "in control" with the Hot Foot than without.

I do not think there is anything wrong with the standard throttle, and with time you can master navigating rough chop while adjusting speed when necessary. IMHO however, the Hot Foot is something you might appreciate.

As far as using them goes, after getting a feel for where it is, it is pretty natural (assuming you use your right foot). Just like a gas pedal in your vehicle. One thing to point out is that when you are getting banged around your whole body is being jarred, including your foot, and in my experience it is common to increase/decrease throttle unintentionally. I guess that would be another con.

Should you install I am guessing you would like it. If you don't, it looks like they are fetching a good price on eBay:cool:

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: hot foot

Hotfoot pedals are great and I wish I had one!

Just get a longer throttle cable and disconnect the one to your present throttle making it only a shifter. (or buy a shifter only see attachment)

Bob's machine in Tampa makes a adjustable plate so you can move your HotFoot around it's worth looking at.

The bummer with them is slow cruising- you can just set the throttle somewhere and leave it. In-Control makes a setup that lets you use either a hand or foot throttle but the are real expensive.

It's real nice to have both hands on the wheel, especially when you only have single cable steering.

Attachments

• 125-SL-3PLCP.jpg
    125-SL-3PLCP.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1