Cooling System

clintspence

Recruit
Having what seems to be a problem with the cooling system.

Motor: 1998 GM 350 5.0 GL Serial:4110199635
Outdrive: Volvo SX-M 1.60

I recently had the block and heads replaced on the motor, replaced the driveshaft, u-joints, pinion gear etc. in the upper gear housing myself and have it all together again. On the bottom side of the manifold (port side) is what I thought was a bypass for excess water that is blowing lots of hot water into my engine compartment. To tell you the truth, I don't know if this is normal or not, I do not remember it happening before the changes mentioned. Once the water level gets up of course the bilge pumps it out, but it spews hot water out the side which can get you pretty good if you're not expecting it (sort of like spilling hot coffee in your lap). I tested it with muffs and it expels the water, tested in the lake and it does the same thing. I've watched the temperature gauge and it's not heating up (never got over 160). Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited:

cr2k

Captain
Re: Cooling System

You probably lost the rubber cap that goes on it with a hose clamp.

clintspence

Recruit

Okay, so you're saying it is supposed to be clamped off? That seems strange since the end of the hose is angled off. Not that I know or can find a picture of it, but seems odd. Anyway, I appreciate the input.

Bondo

Staff member

can find a picture of it

Ayuh,... So post a picture of Your's,.... I'm Baffled as to what you're talking about...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The tube across the bottom of those manifolds is the inlet for cooling water, not a bypass. Sounds like you may have the plug and/or reducer (15 and 16) in the picture below, missing. If this is the case, you may have burned up your exhaust hose. They MUST be installed to run the engine. without them water does not go thru your exhaust risers and out the back of the boat. NOT a good thing.
Probably left out during winterization.
There should be NO water going into the bilge. Period !!!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0

clintspence

Recruit

Sorry, I think I've been confusing on my prior posts so I'll try to be a little clearer. I said the bypass hole was below the manifold and it is, but it is actually a threaded hole in the side of the heads. On the opposite side of the motor I found another one except it has a plug bolt with a square head threaded into it. I'm thinking when the heads were changed, maybe it was just left out on that side? Again, sorry for the confusion.

full_36064g118.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, is should have a plug in it.

cr2k

Captain

Well there you go! A picture is worth a thousand words.

Which, I guess, is why politicians talk so darn much...they have no vision!