Surge Brakes Vs. Electric brakes.

knightowl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a double axle EZ loader trailer. Its from 1979. My master cylinder failed and the cost of new one is $52 bucks for the model 10 actuator. When i pulled that off i noticed that its time for new master cylinder spring brackets. Another $19 bucks each. Then i tested my 2 shocks and they are way too old and perform poorly. Another $27 dollars each. Then i notice my brake lines are getting a bit too rusty and will need replacing... Currently its 1/4" lines but maybe good idea to upgrade to 3/8"?

anyways, so just for the braking parts for model 10 actuator i am looking at $117 not to mention new brake lines and haven't even check out the brake shoes/drums yet (don't look good).

My question is, i could easily be spending about $200 bucks for my brake system. I have herd that you can get a vacuum kit put in on every wheel and have electrical brakes. I do have my truck all setup for electrical brakes already. The cost of the vacuums for each wheel is about $65 bucks. $260 bucks and some wireing and i have myself electrical brakes.

Question is, how true and how reliable is that? Is it worth ditching my Surge Brake System for electrical? Or should i just stick to what i have and be done with it?

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Surge Brakes Vs. Electric brakes.

My dealer told me electrics don't like being dunked. Other than that...I got nuttin.

iBrent

Seaman

I know you mention your tow vehicle is already wired for electric brakes. Does that mean it has a brake controller? If not, add 60-100 for that.

knightowl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has a controller already. Has any one here done this conversion before on their tailor or seen it done?

Splat

Lieutenant

Electric brakes in salt water are questionable. In freshwater they are fine. Mixingf electric and water in this case is no big deal. The only electrical component in the brake system is a magnet.

As far as installing, I can install an axle with electric brakes in about 45 minutes. Including the wiring. All you do is bolt on the new backing plates, these will have the shoes and magnets installed allready, install the new drums. tighten down the bearing, and run 2 wires from each brake unit to the plug on the front of the truck.

Couple things to consider. You will need to go to a 7rv plug to accomodate the brake wiring. also the coupler your currently using, because of the cylinder should either be replaced, or find an easy way to lock it out permanently so it won't clunk when you stop.

This video show you pretty much everything for a electric install.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtzPmNNM34M&feature=related
Bill

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have same question but I am considering buying a new trailer.

Is it electric safe to submerge ? I understand there's just a magnet in the water but how about the wiring which will short when in submerged, will it damage my controller or the system ?

I assume it should be fine since they build them this way but I would like to read somebody's personal experience.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Water will eventually find its way into the magnets. Salt water will hasten the demise of the magnets once water enters them.

I have done the drum brake thing for so many years and have switched to Kodiak disk brakes. After having disk for 3 years now there is no way I would ever have anything else. I have electric/hydralic instead of a surge coupler but that is just my preference to be able to control how much the brakes are applying.

knightowl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how much are the "Kodiak disk brakes" and where can i find them? I have the bolt off drums that are just bolted to the tube axle.

Also, i use my boat in fresh water about 80% of times. I do want to take it to the beach here and there now days for better fishing. So going electrical brakes a bad idea? Just stick to the Surge Brake but maybe upgrade to disk brakes? How is it possible you still using hydraulic and self control electric brake at same time?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=309

This unit is controlled by your brake controller in your car. It is basically a hydraulic pump that then sends the brake fluid to the trailer brakes.

Here is mine mounted on the trailer
brake.jpg

This is the cheapest way to go for Kodiak brakes. I use thes becuase I got a killer deal on them but was thinking about getting the SCAD ones if these ever had corrosion problems. I just flood them with water after i use them in salt and they have been perfect. They still look like brand new.
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=6720&categoryID=302

Whatever you do, stay away from the nonvented Tiedown stainless brakes. I bought them first and have a whole set of 4 in my garage gathering dust.

A few other Iboat people have contacted me on the phone regarding my setup and many have gone with the exact setup I did. It will cost you more initially than an electric drum setup. For me, electric was NOT an option I would ever pick.

knightowl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It seems to be that disk brakes are out the question right now. Just for the disk brake it would cost me around $450 bucks for 4 wheels. That is out of my budget as much as i really want them. My budge is around $200-$250.

So im still deciding rather to repair my surge brake or just go with electrical braking system (with my old shoes). Probably just repair my surge brake right? I mean i don't mind spending extra $100 bucks and get electrical brakes but they might not be as reliable? Reliable vs. difference in the braking system worth it? I herd surge brakes over heat the shoes on long trips?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Surge brakes may be applied on a downgrade. If you are on level ground and they are adjusted properly, they will not overheat.

For the time being, put in a master cylinder and probably wheel cylinders on all 4 wheels. If your backing plates are still good, just replace the parts as needed.

Be aware that electric brakes will more than likly require you to have 4 new drums so that may be an expense you haven't realized yet.

capt_neo

Seaman Apprentice

The discussion about electric versus surge brakes on this thread has been interesting (and educational). I have another question that I think is in line with what everyone has been talking about without any one accusing me of trying to highjack the thread . . .

From my experiences, the use of brakes on a ramp is a non-issue in that I have always (when I was towing) considered the pulling of the wiring harness out from the tow vehicle to be an item on my check list as I was prepping the boat/tralier for launch (I've had surge and electric brake trailers). On the surge brakes, there's nothing for me to do. On the electric models, it was defeated as a braking source due to my desire not to have any "electric" on as I was backing in to the water (freash or salt). This was due for not just the braking, but also the lighting on the trailer (not wanting it to be "on" while it was under water).

IMO, the brakes were for the highway, not the boat ramp. I'd stay with the type you have and just do the R&R you're planning on.
;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

On the electric models, it was defeated as a braking source due to my desire not to have any "electric" on as I was backing in to the water (freash or salt).
With surge brakes, you don't have any braking backing down a ramp either.

With electric or electric/hydraulic you have to turn down the gain of the controller once your boat is off the trailer or your tires will be skidding. That is the one main disadvantage of both systems.

knightowl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. I think since my budget is low at $250, i might just stay with my current system. I also always disconnect my braking lights when dipping my tailor in water.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I think with your budget and two axles to deal with, you are better off fixing what you have.

For myself, I am mid upgrade to LED's on the trailer, next will be electric brakes. Although you can get electric brakes that are specifically for marine use (coated parts and potted magnets, etc.) I plan to use plain old fashioned "RV" brakes. Cheap, parts available everywhere, and in fresh water use they hold up just fine. I know people running this exact setup, after several different brake systems, and it has proven to be the most reliable overall. One guy averages between fifteen and twenty thousand miles a year, with most launching being in salt water, he just adds brake shoes and hardware to the annual maintanance.

knightowl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so he has brake shoes with electrical RV brakes?

knightowl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you i know that :D question was does he use RV electrical or the boat electrical kind?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Nothing marine in the setup - no coating on the metal parts, no epoxy potted magnet.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well...I am asking the same question about electric brakes.

I know "regular" electric brakes cannot (should not) be submerged in salt water or any water for that matter.

But I have not been able to find anyone who has tried Fulton Performance electric boat trailer brakes that are actually DESIGNED to be submerged in salt water.

Anyone know about them?