Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

Runs perfect..slight miss, but perfect otherwise. Turns out I had two huge vacuum leaks once those were fixed ran like a top.

Compression 150 135 150 150 135 150

Probably high on a couple of cylinders because of the winterizing oil.

Gears work

all gauges work that matter, tach, oil, water, volt

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Glad to hear you have a working motor.
Congrats, on another milestone hit.
Look forward to more updates.
Bob

system-f

had to put another coat of paint on the transom

fiberglassed the seat in, it is a little high, but very adjustable

set the timing, the engine runs awesome so far

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hiya System F

good deal on the engine....post a video! hope you're doing well! ctach ya soon

system-f

Finally some pictures.

Since Saturday or Sunday might be the trial run if it doesn't rain I figured it was time to get the side gunnel panel on that holds the shifter, but even though I spent tons of time measuring and cutting the gunnel panel it turns out that the shift sticks out further and hits the steering wheel :(

100_1695_small.jpg

So for now Neutral is at 3 o'clock, forward WOT is at 12 o'clock and reverse is just down. I am going to be able to remedy this situation but it will require doing what I was trying to avoid and mounting the shifter high. This boat wasn't designed with much cockput room and the stock shifter is very narrow.

100_1696_small.jpg

Here is the dash and the bare floor.

100_1697_small.jpg

The engine, yes it runs great so far.

100_1698_small.jpg

And the outdrive plus my new huge ski tow ring. You cannot see it but I have also installed the new rear aluminum trim.

100_1699_small.jpg

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

F maybe see if you can find a lever that L's to the right to get the clearence you need?

Friscoboater

Captain

I hope it does not rain tomorrow too. I would love to go fishing

system-f

I would love to take the boat out and figure out what else I need to fix :)

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW!

Just found this thread and spent almost 2 hrs. reading it from front to back! What an AWESOME job! Outstanding work! Really looking forward to your summer! Once you hit the water I bet you speed up again! You guys are great for me! I have a boat in pretty good condition but used to complain about the "little" things that you always have to do, then I see what kind of time ya'll put in and I'm AMAZED!

Very impressed and will be following your progress from now on! I'm in E. Texas, lived in the Dallas area over 10 yrs. Maybe someday I can come back that way and see you at the cove!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

system-f,
I hope that you get to take the boat out. It is looking pretty nice. I know you will get the shifter straitened out.
Good luck
Bob

system-f

I had the first sea trials today and so far nothing bad to report. Not a drop of water in the bilge and the boat felt VERY light and very solid. I didn't take her over 3000rpm as I am not sure if my tach is correctly dialed in. Not having the windshield installed sucks and I need some cup holders. Having the shifter sideways for neutral SUCKS.

Shifter has been moved back and is in the normal position with full range of motion.

We plan to go out tomorrow again.

system-f

I have about an hour on the engine, so far so good.

This week I am trying to build my massive swim platform. I have the first section cut out and it is 3 feet long by 62" wide.

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

The true poor mans ski boats are the ones that cost 50k and you are making payments but the depreciation exceeds your payments.

Every boat I ever owned was old and tattered - but I always had fun anyways.

Your boat actually looks pretty nice.

Obvious0ne

Cadet

Are you going to glass in the empty gauge holes?

It might be a pain - but it would look nice. (though I get that that would be a last priority thing behind fabbing seats etc)

Friscoboater

Captain

I am glad to hear things went well. it feels goo doesn't it?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

system-f,
Congrats on the water trials. Glad you didn't have any problems.
Got any pic's. :p
Bob

system-f

Swim platform is on and done...kind of. I am still painting it. I made the swim platform out of 3/4" ply and sealed it with glass. There are a couple of strips of 1708 on the bottom and one on the top. I figured the 1708 on the top would give me a rough texture and I wouldn't have to put in traction compound. So far I have been right. The platform is not at all slick when in the water. The outside of the platform is RIGHT at water level and it should make boat entry much easier on the happiest German Shepherd Dog in the whole wide world (and other German Shepherds as I plan to start fostering again once the interior is done).

I am providing a link to the picture of the swim platform. The black paint is something my friend did and I like it. I will probably cut templates for the black markings and add them later. Right now the platform is 100% white and has two coats of Pettit Undercoater. I will top coat with easypoxy or rusteolum...something cheap that is easy to recoat.

Too big to embed, here is the link:
http://overlandtrucks.com/system-f/boat/rebuild/swim_platform_edit.jpg

Went out again last week and this weekend I plan on towing her to Austin. I had some water in the bilge (about 4" square and a dime deep) which really scared me as I had just done the transom mounts for the swim platform. Turns out that I had 4 guys on one side of my boat trying to tie up a 26ft cruiser and the bilge drain probably picked up a little water. I need to run that hose up higher. I have NOT been able to find any signs of water on the transom. In a week or two I will pull the drive to triple check that the bellows are sealed.

The boat seems to be doing great on gas, but I still don't think 18 gallons is enough. I really want to add a 5-7 gallon tank to the aft port side of the engine. I have tons of room back there and the through hulls will be easy.

Did I mention I love this straight 6? Let me rephrase that: I LOVE THIS STRAIGHT 6.

Starts RIGHT UP when cold
Starts Right up when I turn the ignition switch on and hit the starter
Runs all day long and does pretty good on gas
Tons of torque, on plane at 2k RPM, cruise at 2.3k rpm (yes yes yes, this has more to do with my prop, but the engine doesn't have a problem spinning this 23P highly cupped prop and pulls skiers just fine with it)

Everyone keeps pestering me to throw a quadrajet on her. I might, but I really live the phrase: "If it ain't broke...." Though the 2bbl on there is getting old and I think she had her last rebuild.....I don't know. I think I will just keep her as is for now...play with a quadrajet on my next project which will hopefully be a Chevy Truck.

I had planned on ordering my black Bimini this weekend, but the transmission in my daily driver Honda is making some FUNKY noise and in need of replacement... the bimini will have to wait.

Next phase: interior...

I almost forgot to mention:

I LOVE Easypoxy and Easypoxy undercoater. I cannot stress enough that unless you have baby's-butt smooth fiberglass please use the undercoater...so much nicer and does an awesome job at filling in gaps, even on my ROUGH swim platform.

If you have to ask what color something in my boat is going to be such as the interior...just look at what color everything else is and that is your answer. (the top will be black) I might paint the sides tonight...back to work. So many incoherent thoughts going on in this post.

hostage

Lieutenant

Very impressive, if you filmed this you could have made an interesting howto/reality show.