Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

cranca

Recruit
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

Awesoime video! Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are realy close. Glad you were invigorated after your vaca.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Finally some pics.

This SEI hose ended up being 1/2" too long and it was a 200psi rated Goodyear hose. The sides were not strong enough to resist kinking. I replaced it with a Seirra part 250PSI Goodyear hose the right length.

100_1694_small.jpg

The engine is in, front taken apart to replace the harmonic balancer. It looks off in this picture but it is straight.

100_1673_small.jpg

A better view.

100_1684_small.jpg

100_1685_small.jpg

The pretty dash.

100_1686_small.jpg

system-f

Outdrive assembly. Notice the very nice shift rod bushings. I upgraded these to the new parts.

100_1688_small.jpg

100_1689_small.jpg

The paint on the bottom looks good from a distance but has its imperfections. This is not the paints fault, but my lack of prep. The cap looks much better since it has to coats of primer under it.

100_1682_small.jpg

100_1683_small.jpg

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking great!
BTW that motor looks very familiar. Do I need to check and see if I still have a motor?:D

Friscoboater

Captain

Looking real good man. I was wondering where you were.

schwonk1

Cadet

Dude:
Just finished reading the entire thread. Nice looking boat. I have a 1969 Larson V174 that I picked up at an auction for $350. Same deal that you experienced:

The bad news: 250 6 cyl Chevy completely full of water and years of rust. Had to beat pistons/rods out of block with drift punch. Block cracked, manifold cracked, fuel tank full of dirt, varnish and other funk. Power trim pump and motor one solid chunk of rust, etc.

The good news: The fiberglass, interior, floor and other stuff is beautiful. It came with a Holsclaw tilt trailer that fits the boat perfectly. The outdrive has no issues. Best of all, this baby is the kind of boat I learned to water-ski behind 40 years ago, so it brings back good memories.

I have most all the work done on it this year, except replacing fuel tank, which is in progress.

It was good to see a pic that looks almost exactly like my boat. You don't see a lot of 40 year old Larson's up here in Ohio.

Schwonk1

system-f

Thanks guys, still working at but it looks like I might need more parts now :( I just need to get over the hurdle of getting the engine aligned and the engine is probably going to have to come out again.

system-f

My friend fixed his jetskis and keeps wanting me to go out on the weekends. It is hard to resist and really cuts down on my weekend boat work time. Regardless, I have been out on the lake the past few weekends and it is helping to motivate me on the boat work.

My neighbor helped me align the engine by working on the outdrive side while I adjusted the mounts and we got it perfect. The problem is I need to adjust the front lower than the mount will let me go. This is because I built the front cross member higher to make the bilge easier to clean, but isn't really a big deal. I will fab a front mount out of steel tonight and get it ready for some serious coatings. Yes, I know steel can rust, but that is why it is going to get some many coatings of paint and will come into contact with no other forms of metal except the adjustment bolt itself.

Steering cable is in.

Friscoboater

Captain

I know what you mean by temptations. There are some many things I want to do on my boat, but now that it is seaworthy I just want to go to the lake.

thrillhouse700

if the metal piece is small enough why not have it powder coated? Oh BTW lookin pretty good. We are about to start working on the engine and drive here soon. We have not had any real pics to post since polishing every piece of aluminum is boring, slow and tedious.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Sometimes we all need a break.
Just keep plugging away a little at a time and soon you will be on the lake in your boat.
Looking forward to more updates.
Bob

Boater45

Seaman Apprentice

Nice work....looking forward to mor updates.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Break what is that.....must work on boat....need more coffee! :D Ok maybe I need a break! Looking good, hopefully I can meet up with you Texas guys this summer!

system-f

if the metal piece is small enough why not have it powder coated?

I'm not a big fan of powder coating. Looks great, but if it ever chips...that's it and it WOULD chip where the big threaded rod goes through. I used a zinc based paint.

Outdrive is on
Engine is mounted
most of the gauges are in, chrome with a black back...very nice on the white dash

Shifter installed and throttle working.
Ordered 10yds of vinyl, will need more
Figured out how to install the drain plug setup with a threaded outer hole and flanged brass tube on the inside
battery mount installed
fuse box mount installed
ground plug mount installed
wiring harness run
steering installed and complete
driver seat mount built
got a drive seat, battery and rear light mount

now I have to find all of my electrical gear...I have no idea where it is

BobsGlasstream

Commander

system-f,
Sounds like your on a roll.
I can't seem to find anything anymore. My shop is a total disaster area.
Need pic's.
Bob

system-f

Welp, it runs...kinda of. Seems to be backfiring a little bit and won't stay running. I think the plug wires are all off by one. Tomorrow I will role it over to TDC #1 and set it manually.

The guys are trying me to get this thing in the water next weekend, but I am shooting for the weekend after that.