Suzuki 140 Pwerhead Removal-help !!

charlie tones

Recruit
Hi Guys,

I am trying to remove a suzuki 140 powerhead and although I have removed all of the bolts and am able to seperate it from the bottom casing by approx 10mm it will not come off.
Is it possible that it is seized on the bottom pivot even though this rotates smoothly?
There is a control linkage also going through the depth of the head which I would need to lift the engine over to get it off! I beleive if I manage to release the pivot then the whole thing would pivot on the bottom casing away from the rear of the boat.
Help with relevent knowledge would be really encouraging at this point as all this scratching of heads has worn a groove in my scalp.

Cheers All

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Suzuki 140 Pwerhead Removal-help !!

Welcome to the forum ;) You removed the flywheel with a puller allready right? Disconnected all the cables links pipes etc? The shaft will come loose the moment you lift the powerhead, it is not likely for it to get stuck dead .....

James R

Commander

Hi DJC. Maybe I'm missing something but why would you need to remove the flywheel to pull the powerhead.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Well if you need to split the powerhead, it is easier to take the flywheel off while the powerhead is still on ....

James R

Commander

DJC you are so right.
Anyway the shift rod, which is what I think is being referred to, can be pulled out with the power head or preferably disconnected at the power head and left in the housing. There is nothing difficult about pulling a Suzuki power head. They often hang up on the gasket, just be sure that all the bolts are out. Go to brownspoint.com for the assembly drawings. I always remove the lower unit first as this allows for easier reassembly and prevents the possibility of spline damage.

aztecrich

Cadet

Make sure you have removed the two nuts that are are on the two bottom studs near the rear of the engine, I have seen guys miss these.
I had to use a big pry bar to break mine loose but then it lifted right off with no problems, Mine is a DT140 from the early to mid 80's
By the way, I have a spare parts engine if you need hard to find parts

Aztecrich
Just a retired guy that wants to go fishing

aztecrich

Cadet

I have an early 80's DT140, Mine was just stuck by the gasket, Had to use a large pry bar to break it loose and it lifted right off ,
The man is right about not missing the two rear nuts on the studs, Ive seen that happen also.
I also have tons of used hard to find DT140 parts as I have two DT140's and a DT115

BOAT DOCTOR

Petty Officer 2nd Class

make sure you take out 2 bolts by the shift cablle arm 10mm