newby ?

shoeshine

Recruit
Hello im new here and this is my first post. I have an 89 reinelle with a volvo penta 4 cyl. I also have a lt1 taking up space in my garage. I was wondering if anyone had some pointers of what all would be needed to switch out the volvo for the 5.7. Im sure a lot of searching would give me the answer but my computer is down and all I have is my sidekick so if the gurus could chim in and help out a fellow boater I would be greatfull. Oh the reason for the switch is the volvo is shot and would take a full overhall to get back to normal. Thanks steve o.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: newby ?

Ayuh,... Your not going to put an LT1 into Any boats,...The bolt holes won't line up...
And,...
A 350 is Not an option without replacing the Complete Driveline...

shoeshine

Recruit

Ayuh,... Your not going to put an LT1 into Any boats,...The bolt holes won't line up...
And,...
A 350 is Not an option without replacing the Complete Driveline...
I kinda guessed the v8 would be too powerfull for the 4cyl parts, what would work? What should I be looking for to hook this up? I got the boat to run but would only go to 3000 rpm in drive. And it was smoking like a train. Im not a carb man I only know fuel injected. So im wanting to switch whatever I have to to go to a fi v8. Once again thanks for the help.

Ps bond o a lt1 is the same bolts as a 350 only difference is heads and intake so maybe you don't have my answer.

shoeshine

Recruit

Maybe someone knows a list of drivelines that fit my boat and bolt up to a 350 5.7?

captmello

Captain

You'd need a completely different drivetrain, engine and outdrive. the hole in your transom is specific to the era of volvo drive your using now, 89 to 93ish. Since your are repalcing the entire drivetrain and looking to go FI, you could redo the transom to fit a more modern drivetrain. Whats your budget?

shoeshine

Recruit

You'd need a completely different drivetrain, engine and outdrive. the hole in your transom is specific to the era of volvo drive your using now, 89 to 93ish. Since your are repalcing the entire drivetrain and looking to go FI, you could redo the transom to fit a more modern drivetrain. Whats your budget?

I only have 600 in the boat all together so I would be willing to spend to get my 94 350 in it. Cause the volvo that's in it isn't working right. I would have to replace or rebuild the carbs, the compression is low in 3 cyl and it leaks oil. Someone before me did not winterize the boat it had a freeze out plug poped when I got it. If its going to be 4 times a new engine then never mind but if I can get used parts, I can wire and intall the 350 myself.

captmello

Captain

Well if you wanted to use the 350 you have, I don't know how your run the FI without all the sensors the computer would would need in an auto.

aside from that, youd need all the other parts from the engine back to make it work, transom shield, everything. Also the motor mounts would need to be changed. the list is too long. As I mentioned before the hole in your transom is specific to that model of outdrive. What do you have, SP drive or what?

The most practical thing to do is replace the engine with another 4 cylinder Volvo. Sorry.

shoeshine

Recruit

Well if you wanted to use the 350 you have, I don't know how your run the FI without all the sensors the computer would would need in an auto.

aside from that, youd need all the other parts from the engine back to make it work, transom shield, everything. Also the motor mounts would need to be changed. the list is too long. As I mentioned before the hole in your transom is specific to that model of outdrive. What do you have, SP drive or what?

The most practical thing to do is replace the engine with another 4 cylinder Volvo. Sorry.

I don't know what the outdrive is but thanks for your input.