88 johnson

lazerdmsl

Cadet
I have a 1996 88 johnson I can spray gas in the carb and it will crank and run as long as I am spraying gas in them. when I stop it dies any ideas.

one more question is there a dirgram for the fuel pump I have taken it apart and the springs have come out before I could see how they were in so now I am lost

P.s Yes I have gas

Thanks for any help

pochejp

Cadet
Re: 88 johnson

I have a 1996 88 johnson I can spray gas in the carb and it will crank and run as long as I am spraying gas in them. when I stop it dies any ideas.

one more question is there a dirgram for the fuel pump I have taken it apart and the springs have come out before I could see how they were in so now I am lost

P.s Yes I have gas

Thanks for any help

Sounds to me like the carbs need overhaul but i'm going through a similar situation and mine have been rebuilt.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Click the thumbnail - it will be close to what you need.

Attachments

• Fuel Pump Diagram.JPG
    Fuel Pump Diagram.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 0

lazerdmsl

Cadet

O K I got that back together but still will not run, runs fine as long as I spray gas in the carb beside having the carbs rebuilt can some one tell me other things I need to check

Thanks for any help

jriegle04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there is obviously a fuel restriction somewhere. i would check the anti-syphon valve at the tank if you have one. maybe you could pull your fuel lines at the carbs and see if you are getting gas there. it is going to be a process of elimination. go from the engine back to the tank and see where you are getting gas and it should lead you to where it is stopping. it sounds like you need to buy a carb kit and rebuild. hopefully you will find something else even though carb kits are only $16 if you can put them in yourself.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Your problem does not sound like a fuel obstruction. You should be able to start your motor using the primer bulb and the primer solenoid without having to spray fuel mix into the carburetors; Are you pushing the key in for a cold start and using your warmup lever?

lazerdmsl

Cadet

I am pushing the switch in Dont know what your talking about with the warmup lever I pulled the screws off the side of the carb gas is coming out there so I am getting gas to the carbs Is there a chock switch on the engine

jriegle04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when you push the key in you should be able to see or hear gas coming from the carbs if the choke is working the way it is supposed to and you pumped your primer bulb. on mine the choke is a black cyclinder with a red tab on the end of it it is about the size of a 35mm film canister. the red tab on it is the manual choke. it should be pointing to the back of the engine when it is in the normal position. if you move it to point down that is manual choke. i hope this helps.

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am going through similar issues. If you push key in ignition you should hear a click at engine side. That is your primer. I think if primer bulb is hard, pretty safe to say you got fuel to Engine. You can disconnect hose from engine and push that ball bearing in that is in fuel connection and if the ball is hard it should spray fuel out (careful now).

Here is the link on diagnosing fuel pumps. I think it will work on yours. I am going to test mine unless I got to buy that freakin tool and then I'll just replace the parts without testing for that price. Trying to come up with some cheaper alternatives as we speak. Anyways ...

http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/VROpics/VROflowchart.jpg

and

a good breakdown of the VRO for reference.
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

and

http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/VROpics/VROdrawings.gif

and

http://www.maxrules.com/VROrepair.htm

I got all this from other posters here. I am a novice so others here probably have better info and opinions. Just running into similar issues as you.

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

There is a known problem with one of the gaskets on motors produced in the early to mid 90's. They came out with a modified gasket to correct the problem. To see if you have the original style you will need to pull the top plate off of the carburetor. The original gasket does not have any cut outs in it. It gets soft and drops into the L shaped passages blocking fuel flow. The new style has cut outs over the passages. In the attached picture I colored the cut out areas red.

Attachments

• Screen 00001.jpg
    Screen 00001.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0

lazerdmsl

Cadet

Thanks for all the help but I found out what was wrong there is something on the top on the engine that vacum lines go into with a litttle switch on it I moved the switch and it now cranks every time